Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Going on an interview

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=278&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dave_73
    Dave_73 Member Posts: 3
    Interview

Hi I finally might have a job as a residential light commercial HVAC apprentice I just got out of school 2 months ago I"ve sent out 25 reumes but it seemed no small companies have wanted to take on someone right out of school,you seem to forget a little in the 2 month absence so i"am going over basics now,But i"am wondering if you might have any ideas what questions they might ask me on my interview Wedsnday,Anything will be of help.
    Thanks David
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Typical Interview Questions

Every interview I have ever conducted or have discussed with company owner friends had revolved around superheat and subcooling measurements and interpretations. Let's face it, you cannot properly evaluate an air conditioning or refrigeration system without being able to meausre and evaluate these two very important Refrigeration and Air Conditioing concepts.

I have spoken with friends in the industry who have not hired individuals based on their lack of knowledge of superheat and subcooling.

Of course, there are company owners who value the personal qualities such as hygiene, punctuality, attitude more than the technical knowledge and have the mentality that they can teach the technical but not the personal.

I always ask prospective employees to use a VOM to measure the voltage at a receptacle and a clamp on meter to read the amperage of a motor. You would be surprised how many "experts" have walked through the door to interview and left with their tails between their legs.

The best advice I can give you for tomorrow is to tell the truth. Don't try to put one over on the boss... Trust me... It will not go over well. If he/she asks you about something you ar not familiar with, make certain you answer in no uncertain terms that you do not know. This will go a lot farther than trying to lie or BS your way through the interview.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Regards.
  • Dave_73

Thanks thats a big help
  • Dave_73

Sorry, the interviews Thusday I'LL let you know how it goes
  • TGO_54
    TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
    Interview tips

1) Be early

2) Bring a pen

3) Wear neat, clean clothing

4) Get a haircut - shave or trim your facial hair

5) Polish your shoes

6) DON"T try to BS in the interview

7) Ask some questions about the company, the people you might get to work with and the work you would be expected to do.

8) Be polite to everyone you speak to - a lot of managers get input from everyone you meet on the way in.

Good Luck!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jeff_59
    jeff_59 Member Posts: 3
    interview

clean out your car wash your car have tools ready to start work now if needed
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    How did it go?

Well?

How was it?
  • Brian (Tankless)
    Brian (Tankless) Member Posts: 340
    It didn't happen yet

he got caught up in hurricane Rita and found a better paying job down south :O)

Brian, in Marga-Rita-Land.

I hope I have a home after tomorrow.
  • don_170
    don_170 Member Posts: 2
    I was

thinking more like he had to take a test and he's in recovery mode.

Good luck Brian..I sure hope you and the family are out of
    harm ways.The material objects can be replace..but its the love and closeness of the family that the hard part to live
    without.

• TGO_54
    He must have

been hired on the spot and put to work right away.

Been too dog tired to even type a few lines.

Why else would he keep us in suspence?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    He Sent me an e-mail

Dave sent me an e-mail and said it went well and that he's waiting to hear...
  • TGO_54
    either way

he wins.

If he got the job terrific!

If not, he gained valuble experience for future interviews.

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Very True

Experience is valuable and comes wrapped in a wide variety of packaging materials.
  • TGO_54
    Thats very

> Experience is valuable and comes wrapped in a

> wide variety of packaging materials.

• TGO_54
    Thats very

poetic - you been hanging around the english dept again? ;-)

This discussion has been closed.