Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mini split systems

Options
I like manufacturer representatives.

Jack, how would you like to help hundreds of eager individuals learn more about your product in a hands-on laboratory environment?

I am referring, of course, to the students in the HVAC/R program at Suffolk COunty Community College. I would love to get my hands on a few ductless split systems, both straight cooling as well as heat pumps for use in our training labs.

Students would install, service, maintain and troubleshoot these, along with other, systems.

Who would I get in touch with at your end?

Comments

• cowie_3
    cowie_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    mini split systems

I just bought a new home and I am in the process of renovating. I am removing the existing warm air furnace and duct work and I am installing radiant heat on the first floor as well as the bathrooms on the second floor. The other rooms will be baseboard units. After removing the ductwork I was horrified to find how filthy it was. Because of this I was thinking of installing a mini-split A/C system to avoid ductwork altogether. The first floor is 1500 sq ft and the upstairs is 1300 sq ft. How many units will I need? Is this a wise solution to keep a more sanitary enviroment or am I being a little paranoid of ductwork? Any thoughts???
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Ductless Split Systems

If you were to go with ductless split systems, you should be installing a complete system for each room, just as you would with window air conditioners. So, If you have a living room, dining room and den on the first floor and 3 bedrooms on the second floor, you are looking at 6 units.

Also consider that the length and width of the air handler portion of the ductless split systems are typically larger than the corresponding measurements of a window air conditioner, so the visual results will be very different than your original central system.

If you do opt for the six ductless split systems, be aware that you will also need 6 outdoor units. This will affect the appearance of the outside of the house. There are, however, condensing (outdoor) units that contain multiple compressors and are intended for use with mulitple air handlers.

Since you are in the process of renovating, it is safe to assume that the walls and ceilings are in a demolished state. Given that, I would opt for replacing the ductwork and sticking to a central a/c system. From a first cost standpoint, this may actually be a less costly option.

If you opt for the central system, be sure to install a multistage electronic air cleaner and avoid using the 79-cent HD specials. Your ducts will thank you.

If the interior of the ductwork is dirty, dirt was allowed to enter the ductwork. Fair enough? If we use high quality filters and are able to prevent the dirt from entering the air distribution system, the ducts will remain cleaner.

No, you are not paranoid. But it's a good thing that you actually got a good look inside the duct system. Now, you know what will happen (and did) if your system is not properly maintained.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Ahhh Dr. S

Mitsubishi does make a 3 circuti A/C mini-split. I think they only go to a max. of 2.5 tons of A/C. One condenser, 3 circuits. The only thing I don't like about the mini-split is that they are a pain in the you know what,..to work on.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    Yes Mike

You are correct and in the third paragraph of my previous post it mentions that there are condensing units available that have multiple compressors for use with multiple air handlers.

And yes, Mike, you are also correct when you mention that these systems can be a little rough to service.

As a point of order to our home remodeler... If you go the ductless split route, be sure that the contractor insulates both refrigerant lines that connect the indoor and the outdoor units. The metering devices on these systems are located outdoors and both lines contain low pressure, low temperature refrigerant. I have seen, on more than one occasion, water damage to the structure that resulted from an installation that was missing insulation on the line feeding refrigerant to the indoor coil. On conventional split-type air conditioning systems, this line contains high pressure, high temperature subcoolied liquid and dies not sweat and, therefore, does not need to be insulated.

Good luck with your new home and please keep us posted as to your decisions and progress with the house.

The Professor.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    Any Decision?

Have you made any decisions yet, Cowie?

There are a number of quality units out there should you choose to go the ductless route.
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Biased, as I rep Fujitsu

but I think if you can hang on til Jan the new inverter based units will be out. 21 seer on ours. Other manuf are doing inverters too. not sure of their ratings yet. HP and straight A/c units available in multiple sizes. Excellent way to cool with high efficiency, net to the space. No distribution system losses. www.fujitsugeneral.com
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Well, since you ask...

I'm leaving for the HARDI show in the morning and will be in touch with the factory people at the show. Their corp US HQ is in Fairfield, NJ. Quite close by. Let me see what I can do. Would you please drop me an E so I can contact you directly. Thanks!
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Options
    Have a Great Time!

I was one of the guest educators last year at the HARDI Annual meeting in Chicago.

Great bunch of guys!
This discussion has been closed.