Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

E-Bay & do-It Yourselvers.........

that in many places you as the tech own it once you touch it and if something goes wrong then you as the professional not the home owner will be hung out to dry. i would just love to say hey Doc if I make the incision and stitch it up afterward will you take out my appendix, I can by thread and bandages cheaper on e-bay than you will sell them to me. Now whom will be left holding the bag when you die of infection and the wife sues.

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Funny, but this is what I deal with.

Had a customer stating he could get the 13 SEER cond on E-Bay for 650.00 and some change. I actually stated that I would not even consider installing it if they were to go this far. Even if I did, The "Tail light warranty" Applies, meaning once they doe out, so does the warranty on my part. 024 by the way,........ I cannot and will not even think about this job/work. Am I wrong? I run a business and it's not even worth my time in this case. He also wants to bun the line set and electrical.?????? I have to Pass on this one....:-) Yea I stated the obvious as in professional job, warranty and know how, but that was Mute.....

Mike T.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    No Way!!!!

Hi Mike,how's things?The internet has allowed "some" to get parts lower than our supply house prices.And those same "some" want it installed by us, Several wallies have said that we would be held responsible for the warranties.My opinion is ," if you get it,then you can put it in".Can these same people bring their own chopmeat and vegtables to a restaurant and then get served a hamberger and a salad .Can these same people bring their own oil,filter, sparkplugs and wirers to a auto repair shop and get a tuneup?I kindly say "no way in *ell".I can always go knock on someones door if I am looking for a new customer.I am in business to {# 1 rule } make money so I can stay in business.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    I Agree Terry

Red flags came up so fast,.I thought I was on a golf course....:-) Even though I spend most of the time in the woods looking for my ball. Yea I definitely am going to take a pass on this nightmare waiting to happen. Not to mention no permits for this guy to install his electrical. I usually sub it out to my electrician friend. That way, All safety procedures are followed and I feel good.

Peace Terry.

Mike T.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    A while back

I had a gent email me and ask about a new furnace. He included in his email a lot of information that I needed, like size, space available, etc. I gave him a price on a couple of different furnaces, single speed, variable speed, etc and told him these these were simply budget numbers. I'd have to come out and look at the job to confirm the pricing.

Two weeks later, he calls me and tells me that a buddy that does maintenance bought a furnace for him and how much would I charge to install it, as the furnace was there. I told him that he could deduct the cost of that furnace from my budget bid and I'd install it for him. I also told him that there would be NO WARRANTY on any parts relating to that furnace because I didn't purchase it and further explained what my charges were if there was a warranty issue.

In the ensuing silence, I asked him why his maintenance buddy didn't install it. He said that his buddy had no license (bought it under his company's license) and had no clue how to install it.

I told him good luck. Never heard from him again.

Another one was told to me by my salesman for one of my product lines. Another customer of his had installed something bought off line and a part went bad. The installer refused to warranty the part and the purchaser complained to either the local licensing board or the state licensing board. The installer had to warrant the part just as if he had purchased it himself or he'd run the risk of losing his state license. He did it, unhappily, I'm sure.

(I may have told these stories before)
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Don't do it

I've been on my soapbox about this issue in the past and I revisit it again in my 8/27 column in The News. If enough contrators say no to installing equipment bought over the Internet, the invisible profiteers may be forced to make an honest living -- and 'raise the bar' of the HVAC trade.
  • Tom_80
    Tom_80 Member Posts: 22
    buying on e-bay

> I've been on my soapbox about this issue in the

> past and I revisit it again in my 8/27 column in

> The News. If enough contrators say no to

> installing equipment bought over the Internet,

> the invisible profiteers may be forced to make an

> honest living -- and 'raise the bar' of the HVAC

> trade.

• Tom_80
    Home owner buying

> I've been on my soapbox about this issue in the

> past and I revisit it again in my 8/27 column in

> The News. If enough contrators say no to

> installing equipment bought over the Internet,

> the invisible profiteers may be forced to make an

> honest living -- and 'raise the bar' of the HVAC

> trade.

• Tom_80
    Home owner buying

How can some one buy a condensing unit on e-bay or else where with out a CFC card? Do they ship without refrigerant?
  • Dof3
    Dof3 Member Posts: 120
    ebay

tom,you can go to Sears and buy a freezer or refrigerator or window a/c without a CFC card. That card is such a joke. I have had 1 since the first day they started and have never even showed it to anyone.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    The \"Card\"

Hi Guy's ,The EPA card is for purchasing and using and R,R,R refrigerants.It doesen't apply to new equipment and R410a is not covered by the EPA ,except venting and R,R,R.Enjoy your day!
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458

Our local supply house will not sell equipment containing refrigerant, if it has access ports, to ANYONE without your cert number on file. No exceptions.
This discussion has been closed.