Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hydro air

Using two types of heating was my initial concern too. I discussed how I read ceiling fans etc. are not recommended for radiant. Their thougths were for early and late season heating. We're in the Lake George area. The initial plans spec'ed by the architect's engineer called for baseboard heat to supplement the radiant. All of the contractors we talked to said we didn't need the baseboard, but when it came time to install I think they got nervous about the heat load. I requested placing the aluminum plates to help with the heat load requirement. Are First Co. suitable Air handlers, it appears Lennox doesn't make a air handler to facilate hydronics. Thanks Tom

Comments

• Tom Eigo
    Tom Eigo Member Posts: 8
    Hydro air

We're having a house built. It has radiant heating 10 or so zones, and a combination of High velocity and conventional air conditioning. The Hvac contractor has suggested hydro air to help suppliment the radiant heating. Question is for the conventional air handlers with hydro air. We have agreed on the high SEER Lenox units (21) but the air handlers will only produce 14 SEER. They delivered First Co. units and I was wondering if there are any other options or suggestions. Thanks
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Supplement?

My first and biggest concern is why one would want to "supplement" radiant heat with forced air. Radiant heat heat forced air have completely different air temperature patterns and, once you experience the "quiet heat" of radiant, you would most likely never run the other anyway.

Forced air systems are designed for the heat loss of the structure, while radiant heating systems are designed to regulate the rate of heat loss from the body.

For a forced air system, the highest temperaure air is close to the ceiling, which increases the rate of heat loss from the room, which, if used in conjunction with a radiant system, will increase the rate of heat loss from the body, giving a sense of being cool. Also, in a forced air system the coolest part of the room is the floor, which is the warmest part of the room when radiant is used.

As far as the hydrocoils go, The SEER that you are referring to will not be taken into account when you are running the hydrocoils and the blowers in the heating mode. Forst of all, the hydrocoils are an add-on and are not factored when the SEER was calculated. In addition, the SEER rating that you are referring to (14) will actually be reduced in the cooling mode, given the added resistance of the coil.

Suggestion: Leave the radiant alone and use the air conditioning equipment (cooling) for the summer months and occasionally for air circulatin as needed.

Hope this helps.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    HBQB?

Is it safe to assume that the model of the air handlers is the HBQB series?

If so you are correct in stating that the SEER rating of these units is a 14 maximum. I do not have any experience with the FIRST line of air handlers, so cannot comment on them with any authority. I have seen a number of the cased hot water coils installed on split systems though.

The main problem with that is you are spending top dollar on a 21 SEER condensing unit and are installing it in conjunction with a 14 SEEr air handler. Just so you know, you will not be getting the full effect of the 21 SEER rating of the condensing unit.

The question is this... If you are going this route (having a supplementary heat source) why don't you get the higher SEER rated Lennox air handler and simply add a cased hot water coil to the duct system. This way, the SEER rating of your system will be higher and you will have a, how do you say, matched system.
This discussion has been closed.