Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Vents

Mattv_2
Mattv_2 Member Posts: 12
The pipes sizes are about 2 1/2 to 3" and the returns are 1 1/2".

Comments

• Mattv_2
    Main Vents

When measuring the length of the steam mains do I measure the total length and include the return pipes back to the boiler? They measure without the return pipes at about 17' and the other at about 18-19'with the return pipes about 38' and the other 39'-40'. Im trying to figure out what size vents I should have at the ends of my mains. Right now I have ventrite 35 on there. I looked into the gorton #2 but I only have about 5" at the end of my mains and I understand those gorton #2 are about 7" tall. Does anybody have any suggestions?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    If the returns

are above the boiler's water line, and the vents are at the ends of the returns close to the boiler, measure the returns too.

What pipe sizes are they?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Forget the tiny Hoffman #4A

use the Gorton #1. If you have room, elbow horizontally and install two #1 vents per main, on a tee and a second elbow.
  • Mattv_2
    Vents

Thats what I thought you might say. Would It be ok just to install a gorton #1 on the ends of the each main till I find someone to do the pipe work to add 2. Will it at least work better than what I have on there now.

Thanks for the help.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    That

sounds like a plan.
  • Mattv_2
    Thanks Again

Thanks Again.
This discussion has been closed.