Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Long Should It Last

where those # came from...cast iron boilers can last 20-30 -40 years if properly maintained...now that is not to say it will outlive its usefull life....
Home inspectors tend to be over zealous and frankly know a little about a lot...get a steam pro in there to evaluate your system...then you will konw. kpc

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=323&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Home Inspection Follow Up

I just read the home inspector's report for a home I want to purchase that has oil fired steam boiler for a heating system. This is all new to me. During the inspection he said it was in good shape. However, he also said that the manufacturer (sorry, don't recall who!) says average life for the boiler is 7-12 years, and this one is 13 years old. Should I be concerned that I'll be replacing the boiler in the next few years, or do these typically last considerably longer than the manufacturer states? Thanks for any input from the pros!
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    That is interesting....

is it a "one- off" homemade, steam boiler? there are some around here that pre date the last century.oops, oil you say...
    lets see many of the iron fireman hmmm... nope that doesnt sound like correct information to steer by .You should get another opinion...An old Eskimo American Indian boiler maker buddy of mine who passed away 4 years ago renovated the Twin Kiwannees in anchorage hospital converting them over to oil, many decades ago for the good sisters who ran that hospital... you sure the boiler is supposed to last such a short time?
  • Anthony Menafro
    Anthony Menafro Member Posts: 198
    Home inspectors

Just another home inspector who knows how to misjudge most everything. I don't know where they come up with their timeframes and time allowances for thing, but they never cease to amaze me.

Anthony
  • I'll disregard the home inspector!

I appreciate the information from you guys, and will disregard the home inspector's comment about the useful life of the boiler, and just go with the fact that he said it was in good working order.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Perhaps he was confusing...

... water heaters with boilers. Un-maintained water heaters last on average from 9 to 11 years.

Yours, Larry
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    do yourself a favor

For a small fee due yourself a big favor and get a steam pro to go over the entire system. That way in January your not dealing with headaches. While he's there get an annual done...IMHO
  • jerry scharf_3
    jerry scharf_3 Member Posts: 419
    Dan has the perfect book for you

If you look on the pipe to the left, there is a books & more tab. Go there and buy "we've got steam heat." It's a delightful read and you will learn a great deal with no pain.

I will warn you of two things.

First, addiction to steam systems is a real risk once you read this. You will start looking for all the things that you can do to get your system top notch.

Second, you will find many fewer pros who can work on your system. You'll listen to a contractor, think something doesn't sound right, then check it out here. At least a 50/50 chance that that contractor is history and you're looking again. Note that this also feeds the first risk. Once you find a serious steam contractor, even more things about steam will become interesting...

jerry
  • sootmonkey
    sootmonkey Member Posts: 158
    The first thing that popped into my head

That boiler will last just as long as you pay me to fix it. Sorry, couldn't stop myself.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    how long should it last

gee i guess i the 2 boilers i looked at in the last week that are at least 40 yrs old wernt really that old

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    still servicing boilers that were installed in the twentys

we still have quite a few around here. These are gas fired and my experience is they do last longer than oil. but have worked on many boilers, oil fired, that are more than twenty years old
This discussion has been closed.