Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar and radiant jobsites I visited in Italy

space heating with solar and radiant? I read there are 30,000 combo systems in Austria, I think we should be trying harder. Bob Gagnon

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=331&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Along with

Roy Collver from Calgary and Rex Gillespie from Caleffi NA. Sergio Casarino of Caleffi was our host and translated for us. Thanks Sergio!

Caleffi invited us over to Italy for a factory and jobsite tour. What a time we had!

The jobs we visited were first class installations providing DHW and radiant. One project was two years old, the other under construction.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Not as much solar

as I had expected to see as we drove across the countryside. I think, like the US, they are on the verge of a solar "renaissance" I suspect more of a retrofit market. I didn't see a lot of residential new construction in the area we toured.

The EU Solar 2030 program is just ramping up to promote solar across Europe. I met a fellow that is on the board for Germany. I hope to get some more info on that association.

Both of these were apartment projects typically 300 square meter sized spaces. Radiant throughout with towel warmers in the small bathrooms. Bathrooms also served as laundry room with small stackeds W/D.

Masonary construction with stucco finish, plaster inside.

Outdoor unit heaters were installed for solar dump zones.

Gasoline was a bit over $6.00 per gallon. Mostly small diesel powered vehicles on the highways, not unlike Germany.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rich Kontny_4
    Rich Kontny_4 Member Posts: 73
    Views of the future?

Thanks Hot Rod for a glimpse of our future. Do they mandate energy conservation there or have high costs shaped systems?

I can't remember where they use averaging for fuel charges. If you are above the average you pay a surcharge if you are below you receive a credit.

Our tendencies to overbuild are going to be the biggest hurdle to overcome.The Europeans are energy conscience from the start. Also their construction methods include a great deal of thermal mass (as seen in your photos)

Rich
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Thank You ,hot rod. *~/:)

> Roy Collver from Calgary and Rex Gillespie from

> Caleffi NA. Sergio Casarino of Caleffi was our

> host and translated for us. Thanks

> Sergio!

>

> Caleffi invited us over to Italy for a

> factory and jobsite tour. What a time we

> had!

>

> The jobs we visited were first class

> installations providing DHW and radiant.

the solar market is definitely on many energy conscious individuals minds these days. Alaskans are becoming aware of the options and some passive design and zero energy solution homes have been and are being considered in every area around the state.

Thing is when there is a class on the subject, it is difficult at best to get to the class even if it was promoted...With the classes often comes some valuable information yet none of it seems to be compiled in any one place..I would like to try to solve some of that problem, doing my bit as it were, to put things together in a library / school here in the Central interior of Alaska...Do you think that Caleffi might be interested in giving a class on their Solar products here...From what i have seen they have really top flight parts and pieces and literature..however ,i have only attended two classes that promoted their product line and sum zero that promoted integration of Solar technology or the practical engineering of systems....

They Seem to Like You :)

maybe there is a way to influence Caleffi to offer more contractor engineering classes, Triangle Tube looks good decked out in Caleffi :) did you hear anyone mention that there is some consideration to bring some more classes in the near future?

Something that i noticed in your pictures were the stone built homes ...did you look at the insulation details on these homes?

the other thing that i see is a small well with a spigot to put water in a "Lime Barrel" as water quality is important did your guide mention any of the solutions that they have to address those minor technicalities?...i dint see anything that looked like a strainer filtration purification system on the solar piping mech room... the tanks looked awesome:) almost like you would have to
    Build them Into the home...:) thanks for sharing the pics looks Sunny :)
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    H.R.,

You made the trip I've been asking for ...for a LONG time!

I met Sergio at the NEFI show in Boston, mid June. I spoke with him for quite a while, and he answered MANY questions that I had.

He saw my last name...and immediately singled me out...imagine that? (Ask him about the comment..."But...There's NOTHING in there!". ) He particularly liked that!

Class company, with extremely well engineered products. I'm waiting for our supplier to give us another choice in manifolds and smarter Z/V heads. I saw them....They're there!

Thanks for the post. Chris
This discussion has been closed.