Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Black pipe for potable water!?

adambuild
adambuild Member Posts: 414
Just looked at a basement bathroom estimate and noticed new black pipe supplying hot and cold water for the laundry sink! Where in the code is this nixed?

Thanks, Adam

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Black pipe

Malleable-Iron (black pipe) is never used for domestic potable water applications.

In New Jersey, we use The 2006 National Standard Plumbing Code. Section 3.4 Potable Water Piping; 3.4.3 Water Distribution Piping which refers you to Table 3.4

Robert O'Connor/ New Jersey
  • Dennis
    Dennis Member Posts: 101
    Black iron

I am sure that was a typo on the estimate, unless the contractor is from Russia or something
    Just do it, right.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

PROBABLY MEANT BRASS PIPE. TYPO ERROR
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543

I always thought about using the straws for the supergulp from 7-eleven.
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    !

Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I went to measure a bathroom job and while in the basement, I saw brand new black pipe supplying a new laundry sink! It gets better: I asked the h/o and he said the home inspector that inspected their new home this summer installed the pipe!? What does the NJ code state specifically?
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    specifically

2006 NSPC; Section 3.4 POTABLE WATER PIPING- 3.4.3 Water Distribution Piping

Water piping for the distribution of hot or cold water within buildings shall be of materials listed in Table 3.4.

Robert O'Connor/ New Jersey
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543

I though about using some straws from the supergulp at 7-eleven and attaching them with bubblegum, best straw dope yet. . . .
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Forget codes!

And material specs...what's gonna prevent this from rusting out?...
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Leave your

business card after you do the bathroom remodel, Adam as that piping will need to be replaced SOON.

It would be interesting to know if that inspector, if he actually did do the work and not the homeowner, is a plumber? I sure hope not but you should be careful depending on the owner being completely up front with you especially if they or a relative did the work.

Jack
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Iron

The same thing that prevents galvanized pipe from rusting out? ;-)
This discussion has been closed.