Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Burner keeps locking out?

Bob_102
Bob_102 Member Posts: 16
Beckett Ignitors don't seem to be as un-reliable as Carlin's, however suntec did have a problem with solenoid valve coils that caused intermittent lockouts. I think the problem could be on pumps made between 2005 and 2006. There is no way to diagnose the problem except to change the pump coil.

Comments

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Oil burner keeps locking out

A new customer called me to request a oil burner tuneup/cleaning and told me her burner kept locking out.

I performed a cleaning and tuneup (boiler was not that dirty). I replaced the filter, strainer, nozzel, and after the second callback the cad cell. After the tune up the burner fired right up and ran fine. The problem is that every couple of days the burner locks out. The customer hits the reset and the burner fires and I get a call back. Any sugestions?

Jim
  • Bob Forand
    Bob Forand Member Posts: 305
    Perhaps

Perhaps the oil line is plugged and you need to blow back to the tank ? Just a thought...
  • Jim_139
    Jim_139 Member Posts: 61

Did you run the nozzle line into a container after changing filter & strainer to check for good flow, correct pressure, pump cutoff, etc. Before replacing the cad cell did you check ohm reading? Burner motor, on older conventional motors sometimes the start switch hangs up occasionally. Ignition transformer or solid state ignitor, primary control, is there an oil valve? Chimney vent or power vent? Cracked porcelain, incorrect ignitor setting, etc. There are really quite a few things to choose from, most can be verified rather quickly. Good luck.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

Burner is about 4 yrs old: Becket AFG. Oil pressure and cutoff were checked. Transformer had good spark. The cad cell was replaced. Electrodes were wiped down and checked for cracks. The dirtiest part of the boiler was at the retention head and nozzle, it had alot of carbon buildup. It has no power vent and or oil valve

Jim
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    check

Is it an ignitor or transformer? If a transformer I would verify it's not loosing spark after a long run cycle (overheating). Some other thing's that come to mind would be to check the z dimension and whether or not the system is over aired..Like it's already been said, lot's to check. I would get the book out and start from scratch. Forget all the thing's you've done so far and start as if you just walked in the door..
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458

Did you check "z" dimension? Is the nozzle the correct spray pattern and type for burner and boiler? Just a few more suggestions.

• If I had to guess - from my own personal experience - and the burner has a solid state ignitor, that is the culprit. As long as you checked the other usual suspects first.
  • Bob_102
    Bob_102 Member Posts: 16

I'm sorry, I just re-read the posts, you said there is no oil valve. I thought that all new beckett burners have a valve, the burner must be older than you think.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    A while back

There was a thread about the solid state primary controls, and grounding, and voltage spikes / sags. Good one to revisit.
This discussion has been closed.