Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new unit: Peerless BTU toss up

jeff_99
jeff_99 Member Posts: 27
Im getting a new Peerless steam boiler installed.
2 contractors recommended a unit with 147 BTUs and two went with a unit thats 177 BTUs. Now Im really confused.
Smaller or higher. Gas/Steam. 1600 sq foot house, 2400 sq ft including the basement (no radiators in the basement)
Whats the result if its too small/too large and are they close enough that it doesnt matter?

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    What is the connected EDR of the Radiation?

The square footage of the house and the heat loss mean nothing except for comparison. Steam boilers have to support the connected radiation and have factors to take into account piping on top of that.

It is based in EDR, Equivalent Direct Radiation which is measured in square feet of radiator surface. Each of those suckers will emit 240 BTU's per Hour in a 70 degree room when held at 215 degrees F. (Low pressure steam).

Now, one hopes that the radiation matches the heat loss of each room and/or is at least proportional to the heat loss around the house. Great if it is. But a boiler rated for 225 EDR fired into a steam system of 350 EDR will be gasping for steam in short order- the radiation, especially those furthest away, will go unfilled. Unwanted. Unloved.

The contractor that documented the radiation and calculated the actual EDR and noted the condition of the piping, pledges to follow the boiler manufacturer's near-boiler piping diagrams, vents the system well and operates it at the lowest possible pressure is the one who should get the job.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • jeff_99

Are the units close enough (147 vs. 177 btu) that it could be considered a toss up?
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 552
    If

you don't determine the EDR how would you know?it's not that difficult and MUST be done.Isn't the peace of mind knowing you have the proper size worth it?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    And

for all you know, you may have 225 EDR and not have enough boiler. As Robert said, you just do not know unless you determine that first.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • jeff_99
    sad NJ help

They estimate the EDR to be 360 sq ft.
    The plumbers here must have too much work, cause 1/2 of them never bothered to measure and seemed incensed when I asked them about it.
    One guy recommended 206,000 BTU! Peerless
    Another barely said three words, but he did measure.
    Most agreed upon a 150,000 unit.
    Not sure if I should go with Weil Mclean or Peerless.
    Any thoughts comparing the two?
    I read about some leakage issues with the WM, but of course the contractors for WM said they never had a problem.
    thanks for your help. I know more about this than I ever dreamed!
  • Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178

Sadly Jeff, this is not a difficult process, lord only knows why a contractor wouldn't take the time to do the job correctly. As you may have read in the information posted previously, we need to provide the steam neccessary to match the output of the radiators in your home. Boilers are sized with Btu outputs and EDR outputs, this information is listed on a manufacturer's specification sheet. Accordingly, sizing the radiation means measuring the radiation and then coming up with a total EDR output for the radiators in your home. After that is done, you match it to a boiler capable of delivering that amount of EDR.

You say they estimate the EDR at 360 sq. ft., does that mean they measured the radiators, counted sections and arrived at an actual figure? If no, then that should be done first. If yes, then a Peerless EC-03 boiler would match the heating load in your home. It has a Net EDR of 375 sq. ft. of steam at the middle firing rate which is 140,000 Btu/hr.

I will tell you that I am a Peerless rep and that the EC/ECT Series steam boilers have a proven record of reliability and performance. It is important that the installation also adhere to the manufacturer's recommended installation recommendations. It is unfortunate that you couldn't get a straight answer right from the start. Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Richard L. Charland,
    E.R. Stephen Co.
This discussion has been closed.