Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This'll scare you...

I liked both but the bulb pictures are absolutely priceless!

It's amazing how a little knowledge can be dangerous!

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    But look anyway

I was asked to do some work at a local church. They have had some problems with their member/HVAC guy and asked me to take a look.

Most of the problems I saw were minor until this...
  • Jeff Lawrence_25

Here's a closer look.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Uh-oh....

I didn't like the look of that...

Attic job, but the filters were good. The Chairman of the Board of Trustees did nearly all the filter changes. I had to help on a few, but this one.

Here's the next in the series.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Not good

Kinda makes you wonder how long it was like that.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    I was

Actually able to get them attached. I wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but is it ever?
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Not only

Was I able to install them, I actually did something else equally important.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    The AHU

Wasn't a new install.

Ones like this makes you wonder what went through the minds (?) of the installers. Was there an install crew that set the AHU and piped it in with a start up guy following behind? Each thought the other had done the work? Just seeing the clamps would have made me look, that's how I found the problem.

(FWIW, the AHU was manufactured the 26th week of 2000)
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    But Wait, There's More!

I fixed this too.

I was NOT a happy camper at this point. I arrived at the fellowship at 8:10AM to get it over with. Between the bulbs and the sheaves, it was a little after 10 AM before I got out of the attic, soaking wet.

If it was easy, anyone could do it.....
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Great Pics

Great pics Jeff....

Thanks for posting these.

Hope you're havinmg a great summer.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Getting my

You-know-what kicked.

Nearly passed out on a roof early this afternoon. It gets hot up there!

Did you like the bulb picture or the sheave picture better? I removed the top of the AHU so that I could possibly do the work from the top. but no way. That's when I saw the sheave problem.

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

There's a thread on HVACPro tech talk about 50+ water source heat pumps that were installed upside down and run. They wondered why their ceilings were getting wet.

We ran into 2 commercial units that never had any expansion device installed. Just went right through the distributer. It actually worked a little.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Just goes to show

I bet they got a great price from this guy. He probably looked at the bulbs and said to himself,....."Ah they are fine where they are...." I am surprised that the liquid didn't slug back to the compressor being that the valves are wide open. But then again it is probably under charged. Nice pic's though. What are the mega pixels on that camera?

Mike T.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Older Olympus D-510

It's a 2.1 mega-pixel. Stinking thing won't die! It's been thrown off a washing machine when we were removing the old hard pipe line set on a job and soaked in nasty lake water. I dried it out and it still works great.

I can't see replacing it until it dies...

({[I probably just gave it the kiss of death]})

• Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109
    could be worse

Be glad they weren't tied to the liquid line ... took over a building this spring 12 small 5 ton splits all 12 had at least one compressor changed in warrenty by the original installer. 6 bulbs hanging in the breeze 2 done right and 4 that "never really ran" bulb clamped to the liquid line.
This discussion has been closed.