Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Schooling

Options
Hi!While I have attented MANY ,MANY schools, seminars,classes, over the years ,I have to give a DOUBLE "THUMBS UP" to what you refer to as the Silberstein class.Carrier,Copeland,USAFI,Liebert,Dan Holohan,etc,etc,etc all have their own view of the profession,as does "The Professor".Now ,no dis intented,BUT, if you know and remember EVERYTHING you were taught in his CLASSES ,then, Dude ,you are an exceptional techniction[?]I say ,go to ANY class to learn more , to be smarter, AND ,practice that knowledge in the field.I also say to anyone,there is "not one class" that DOES IT ALL,its ALL the classes that DOES IT ALL. Again ,NO DIS MEANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
    Options

I'm looking for a good A/C school around Boston or the South Shore. I have attended some Silberstein courses, and I am looking for a real professional kind of higher A/C education.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Well said

Techman.

If only I could have the guys you mention in my corner when first starting out.I could only wonder the possibilitys I
    would have today if that was the case.

Mr Harvey what is it that you did not like about the class?Too fast? Not enough time to digest it? Having a hard time applying it in the field?
    How can we help?

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Ya know,......

I read that post about 3 times and it does kind of have that smack slant to it. I agree with Terry and Don that Gene is one of the front runners in my book when it comes to Teaching and applying theory. How you apply it can make a world of difference.... I think all will agree that experience and coming across all kinds of units and their applications is the BEST teacher. Nothing beats solving a problem with the stuff you have learned.

My .02

Mike T.
  • Kevin_54
    Kevin_54 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    looking for courses

Does anyone have a link or contact info for the "Silberstein" courses? It sounds like what i am looking for. Thanks
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Petersons?

Peterson School has been around for years as the premier trade school and training facility for stationary engineers, oil burner techs (duh, maybe you went there?)

http://www.petersonschool.com/coursesched.htm

They have courses that seem to fit what you are looking for. They have a facility in Westwood, not too far from you.

Commercial and
    Industrial Refrigeration
    (HVACR)

120 Hours for 15 weeks

JUNE 11
    Mon. 8am -4pm
    or
    JUNE 13
    Mon & Wed 6-10pm

JUNE 15
    Fri 8am -4pm
    or
    JUNE 13
    Mon & Wed 6-10pm

Fees:
    Tuition: $3650
    Down: $1000
    Week: $220
    Books/Lab: $320*
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    Options
    Well?

• Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
    Options

I didnt go to the Peterson school, I was family taught, but my Brother-in-law did, and I was wholly unimpressed with their oil burner side. More of a "This is what you need to pass the test" kind of thing rather than how to be a competant technician. The class itinerary has 4 nights learning about oil tanks, and guess how many nights cover Steam, Warm air, Hot water, and Radiant,... One!

The Silberstein course I went to was a one day pressure Enthalpy course. I'm hungry for more. If I had the time to relocate to New York for his full course I would, but I'm looking for something around Boston area or south of.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • TGO_54
    TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
    Options
    The Professor

Is a tough act to follow, his PE seminar is just a small taste of what it is like to be one of his students. It's too bad you don't live closer to LI.....

I'm sure he will be checking in here soon, and will have some reccomendations for you. Good Luck!

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Education

Hi Norm!I recommend that you call every supply house,parts distributor,and Equipment Distributor[Carrier,York ,Lennox, Trane, Rheem] and inquire about their inhouse training for starters.Most also offer factory training.Most Burner,Boiler mfrg have one nighters or 1-2-3 dayers at a local supply house or local hotel conference meeting room and again factory training is readily available at a price.Good Luck!
  • J Resnick
    J Resnick Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Oil burner instruction.

I am not putting the professor down , but did you try Western boces under the tuteledge Of Ken Resnick recently voted teacher of the year. His courses are Oil burner 1 and Oil burner 2.
    By far the best in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.