Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil burners (Dan H.)

Norm Harvey
Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
My preferences are:

#1 Riello - Great for positive pressure, unbeatable parts longevity. I routinely have customers with 20+ year old riellos with all original parts. I have a Riello parts box that is covered in dust.

#2 Carlin - Ease of use. I like the position plates of the EZ series, I like the endcone attached to the nozzle assembly so that it can be cleaned. I rarely find a carlin EZ series burner to be running improperly between yearly maintenances. I am also watching the EZ-H2L very closely.

#3 Beckett - Last place here, I am not a big fan. I never install them new, instead I opt for a Riello or Carlin.

I have not used any of the Viessmann chassis though I would like an opportunity to.
"We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I'm just curious

What's your favorite residential oil burner, and why?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Today?

RW Beckett,incomparable support on both an individual and industry basis.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Paul Fredricks_8
    Paul Fredricks_8 Member Posts: 35

I'm mostly fond of the Beckett. Strangly enough, it's mostly because I can get my hand down the blast tube. That may sound dumb to some, but I like to know what going on at the end of the tube.

Riello has always been at the top of my list too. I also love the reliability of the components. In 27 years I've had to change out 2 motors and 3 pumps. I feel the burner also has a craftsman type of build. The cast aluminum construction makes me feel that someone cares about what they are building.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    It Depends !

Certain situations...call for something more than the "run of the mill" combinations.

Time and knowledge are the only available training aids to make the decision. Some learn it quick....some have to learn the hard way.

Beckett, CCT, Heatwise, Riello,ViessmanChassis....Whatever fits the call for the home.(alphabetically....no preferences)Just listen and LEARN. Chris.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Beckett

AFG...by a long shot...best thing since sliced bread and an 'ole ABC Sunray (geez alert!)
  • Al Gregory_3
    Al Gregory_3 Member Posts: 20

Carlin whenever possible. Been using them for 25 years and they seem to run better than Beckett to me anyway. They hold their adjustments longer.
  • hb_5
    hb_5 Member Posts: 1
    Easy answer...........

....... Riello. If it's a positive pressure application, there is no other for me.

hb
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    training

I fill the top 3 burners each have thier spot. The one you get trained on will be your favorite. I choose beckett I went out to ohio and toured thier plant, a lot goes into making a quilty burner. I do hate a few of the older models how did our "deadmen" ever work on that junk 24 inch drawer assemly screws hide behind the transformer they earned thier pay. royboy
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    To paraphrase the Hair Cuttery slogan

a good burner is a good burner. Period.

If properly selected, installed and tuned, any high-speed flame-retention burner will work efficiently and reliably, and NOT generate soot. This includes Beckett, Carlin, HeatWise, Riello and Wayne as well as some older models like Sunray. Older units do, of course, work better with modern controls.

With that said, since most of our oil customers have oil-company service contracts, we generally install Beckett burners since that's what most techs in the Baltimore area seem to be familiar with.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    several favourites

For all things non Viessmann but boiler related - Riello. Truly the Sherman tank of burners. For all my arctic adventures, Viessmann and others, Riello. Second choice for non arctic residential would be Carlin EZ series - dependable and easy to service - rarely lose their tune. But - first choice on a Viessmann Vitola would be their chassis burner. Incredibly precise on initial tune and it stays that way! Lastly - I have had very good service from the Hansa oil burner line as well.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Burners

I prefer Carlin or Beckett. Good efficiencies, easy to install and service. And, Made In USA.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks for your insights.

Retired and loving it.
  • bill_97
    bill_97 Member Posts: 172
    Until a few years ago

it was Riello in any application .

What has come standard in a Riello for 20 years was a bunch of options for any other burner . Prepurge , solenoid , hudraulic or electronic air damper , oil burner cover ......

But Beckett has truly stepped up with the newer generation AFGs and the NX . And we would have no hesitation using either brand in any application .
This discussion has been closed.