Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In your company, what constitutes a callback?

Rocky_3
Rocky_3 Member Posts: 232
Trying to get a handle on callbacks. What are the parameters you guys use to determine whether it was a call back? Is it simply that ANY return visit within a week, month, etc... constitutes a callback? Is it based on what your techs physically touched or looked at? Do you have a list of things you check on each annual service and if the callback isn't related to one of those items its not a callback? I mean, I could see where just because we didn't touch something doesn't necessarily mean its NOT a callback. Perhaps we should have looked at it. Of course the techs want the most lenient definition possible, as it affects their "callback bank account". I however, want something that is fair, and justifiable to the customer. What says ye?
Regards,
Rocky

Comments

• Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    I believe there are types of call backs

and they should be looked at for cause.

was it a miscommunication?

was it warranty?

was it a tech mistake?

was it a tech that won't follow procedure or fully check things out?

these days all should be looked at because you are losing money, just in fuel driving in circles.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

As a part of my job, I analyze and track call backs. It's easy to say that any return visit in 30 days is a callback. And in some respects it is, but that's not really a fair way to do it.

I can run call back searches in our software program. Each day I look at calls that were done 8 days earlier. If there are any other calls to that same account in the last 30 days, they'll pop up on my report. I then go through and look at each one. I can usually cross out the obvious ones: A cleaning done after a service call, a run out(in most cases), a no heat call followed by an A/C tune up.

The ones that are a little trickier are when we go for a cleaning and 5 days later there is a water leak call, say from an air vent. I have to assume that the leak wasn't there when the cleaning was done. Sometimes our techs will put in notes saying that the call was not a call back.

I also see ones where we go back 3 weeks after a cleaning and replace a nozzle. While anything can happen in 3 weeks, like a delivery that could stir the tank, I still list it as a call back because something he touched failed.

It can be very subjective, but unless I can definitively rule the tech out, I'll say that it was a call back.

Now here's the big key. We don't use this for punishment or promotion. We know there can be many mitigating circumstances and the last thing I need is to get 40 techs calling me to explain why a call shouldn't be a callback. Each month they get a report with each call back listed and they can use it as a way to improve what they're doing, see what they might be missing. I'll call in those who are consistently high to review any issues that seem to show up consistently. We were running 4-5%, but now we're more like 2% thanks to education and the techs coming on board with the process.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,749
    Call backs

We review all return calls, we look over what was done, which we require are techs to be thorough in the description of work performed. We then compare the return call to what was done, was it a failure to tighten or check something? if so then this is a call back. Was all checked and then a part failed a week later, maybe not a call back, this needs to be discussed with tech then customer. We always want to be fair to the customer and the tech so accurate and unbiased review is needed to determine this. We are paying the tech no matter what but we do want to keep call backs to a minimum and also get paid fairly for what is due us and not for what we did not do. JMHO, Tim
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    nice

The company I work for hold's weekly call back meeting's. It give's everyone a chance to sit and discuss (not bash) what happened and whether it was something that should or should not have been over looked. It also give's the newer people insite into what they may miss. It generally only take's 15 or 20 minute's, coffee is on the house and it has cut call back's down considerably. One other good part, if it is something that should not have been considered a call back we can then charge appropriatly, not lose out on it.

Oh and if there are no call back's, which is normal at this time of the year, the boss still buy's coffee and generally donut's on that day..LOL
This discussion has been closed.