Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just the start of the Season

Jeff,

Only seven days to go!

Where are you other chillheads who said you wanted to join the fun?

WOOHOO

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    3rd cooling call of the year

I was out at this family's house in December, installing a humidifier. I noticed that the burner would cut off and back on fairly regularly. I mentioned this to the homeowner and they said I could look at it when they could get me back out there.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Not pretty

I'll admit.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    So I cleaned it

I pumped the refrigerant into the condenser and (obviously) pulled the coil.

Looks a little better?
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    So,

When I re-installed it and was evacuating the system, I ran the furnace to see if it would run better.

It ran straight for 6 minutes without the burners cutting off.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    It does run better

In fact, when I was doing the 6 minute run, the lady of the house came downstairs and asked why I was heating up the house so much.

They've lived there for 5 years and kept the filters changed. I'm willing to be the other former owner(s) weren't quite so compulsive.

I'll bet the house will heat up better, not to mention how much better the AC will work.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    It's a Beatiful Thing

When you get a system like that and are in the process of evaluating the unit, jot doen the following information:

Refrigerant:
    Evaporator saturation temp:
    Evaporator outlet temp:
    Condenser saturation temp:
    Condenser outlet temp:
    Compressor inlet temp (about 6 inches from the point whree the suction line enters the compressor):
    Outside ambient temperature:

Do this before AND after the repair has been made.

I'll show you some really cool stuff with it!

By the way Jeff. Do you get the HVAC Insider? If so, please check the March Georgia issue and see if the press release went in.

Thanks buddy.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 10th of April.
  • don_163
    don_163 Member Posts: 67
    Good find Jeff

If thats not a picture for a chance to sell a service agreement then I dont know what is.

Was it overcharge as well?
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    I'm willing to bet...

I'm willing to bet that the system was VERY overcharged...
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    3rd call

good evening all! Good call on that typical looking coil .A large portion ofnew customers I pick up have the same problem.I get to sell chemical cleaner,liquid line filter drier,moisture indicator,flare nuts,suction line filter drier,acid test kit,and 4-6 hours of labor,AND I have a loyal customer.You saved an expensive heating coil.
  • scott inM.E.
    scott inM.E. Member Posts: 68
    30 day fiberglass filter's.....

Jeff don't you just love those call's with plugged filters and nasty evap's. Just job security and a pain in the ****. We try until were blue in the face, but people think they save money with those cheap filters.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Actually

The charge was about perfect. It was/is a good, tight system that probably hadn't been touched for years (as you can see by the coil).

I have seen badly overcharged systems and am probably guilty of doing that in the past.

The best one ever to me was when a customer called because the condenser was making a horrible racket. I could hear over the phone the internal unloader squealing. I told her to cut it off and I'd be right there. What amazed me was the system was real low on refrigerant, but the condenser coil was seriously plugged with grass clippings. It kinda balanced out over the years until the grass was more than the recip compressor could take. I cleaned the snot out of it and recharged it to the manufacturers spec's. "It never cooled so good" was the ladies comment.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Good to Know...

Ready for next Monday, Mr. Lawrence?

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Trying to be ready

Right now, I'm on a short Spring Break vacation with the family.

Yep, camping at Crooked River State Park right next to the King's Bay sub base. We're going to spend a day at Cumberland Island and be lazy. Right now, we're 'overnighting' at a campground in Metter, GA that has Wi-Fi.

See you Monday, Eugene.
This discussion has been closed.