Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A/C Question

can someone post picks of an install done this way or post a diagram of the piping

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=354&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

hi i was wondering

i know with a mini split system you can have 4 indoor units with one compressor.

but is it possible to have 2 air handlers and (a-coils) share the same compressor if both zones are on the same
    t-stat so they would both come on at the same time

of course the compressor would be sized for the whole load

like a 4 ton compressor would serve 2 (2ton) air handlers

right now i have (1) 2ton 14seer unit but i will be adding a bedroom bathroom addition that needs 1ton would it be cheaper to run a new 1.5ton 14 seer with a new air handler. or would it be cheaper to run a 12000btu through the wall sleeve unit

i know the though the wall unit would be cheaper then new duct and air handler but i'm looking at whats the best operating cost

thank you
    Jason
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Yes you can...

Jason,

Yes, you can use one compressor to feed two evaporator coils. Just make certain the the piping runs to each air handler are about the same length.

As far as the second part of your question goes, a through the wall unit will definitely be less expensive than another split system.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    I also agree

Just one thought though,...You might want to install freeze protection and or lo pressure controls to prevent slugging to the compressor if one of the 2 evap motors fail since you will be using a common LL and Suction line. Also additional suction line guage at the evap may make your yearly inspection easier as far as how the 2 units are performing.
    Mike T. Eugene,.any further thoughts on the evac of water in gas line? E- mail if Ya get a chance Thanks.
  • Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109
    14 seer ?

I don't think trying that on anything 12 seer or above would be a great idea. Someone who really knows what they are doing could get it to work but it sure wouldn't be a 14 seer system. Straight A/C a ductless minisplit might be a better choice especially if operating costs are any concern.
This discussion has been closed.