Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hummers

Options
Constantin
Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
... on the one hand, they list state taxes in the 8-30 cent/gallon range. The federal tax is supposed to be 18 cents/gallon. That gets me up to 48 cents, max. with a considerable number of states with taxes in the 25 cent/gallon range, so the average ought to be lower. Where do the additional 14+ cents/gallon in taxes come from that are not accounted for in their chart?

Taxachussetts is listed as 25 cents + 18 cents = 43 cents/gallon. Our current pump prices for 87 octane gas hover around $2.40/gallon, so that's back to 18%.

Last weekend, I hauled up to ME with a 14' U-Haul to help clear out a basement. 10MPG with that gas-based monster. Whatever it was under the hood (GMC) it was very, very powerful.

Comments

• singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    24 + MPG

Feds mandate new MPG min. by 2011 for all SUV and Light Trucks.
    Just a small improvement, we could do better , but should save about 10 billion gals of oil.

I bet new heating equipment will have min. very soon!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    2011!!

I think we need to change that to 2008 or sooner. If they can't hit that GPM target by then, yank the product.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    Small steps

It actual starts next year, small increments in fuel economy. It's a start. The auto companies had free range until then. Even though it's directed for trucks/SUVs it will have an affect on all cars, as manufactures begin the shift.
    This will probably eliminate the hummers,excursion and yukons, maybe even bankrupting the failing ford and gm co.'s as suv's were their bread and butter for a while now.

I can wait five years for a new truck, right now my 6cyl Express gets 18 mpg, but was far cheaper than the sprinters that get 21. By 2011 everything should have at least 24. And I could upgrade to a 8cyl. .....not.

BTW, does anyone know why fuel prices have gone up recently, or is it just because warm weather has arrived?

• S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    From what I've read

The business papers that I read, Wall Street Journal/Investors Business Daily both show that gasoline inventories are low for this time of year. It's generally accepted that gasoline stocks should be quite high during the March, April, May quarter, prior to the summer driving season. Such is not the case this year, there's not as many gallons floating around in inventory as ususal.

On the demand side of things, there are more people, in more areas of the globe bidding for the more limited supply of crude/gasoline. Pretty simple really, more demand + less supply = higher prices. I spoke with a gal that manages 6 of those gasoline/convenience stations yesterday. She said that her bosses are warning of gas prices running from $3.00 to $3.50 per gallon all summer. Another guy that runs the local farmers Co-op said that by July, $2.50 fuel will be "the good old days". He oughta know. They supply 80% of the farmers around here, most of which will blow through 40,000 to 50,000 gallons of diesel just during spring field work and planting.

I read yesterday that China just purchased development rights to about 30% of the offshore oil producing area of Nigeria. That should be a pretty good clue as to where prices are headed. This country's destiny is not in our hands until we get our energy situation under control. It's going to be painful.
  • Brian_18
    Brian_18 Member Posts: 94
    Options

>.... until we get our energy situation under

> control. It's going to be painful.

Yea, why is it the World seems OK with the fact that a small gang of thieves (OPEC) decides how much the entire World pays for petroleum???

Thought of the day
  • Bob_41
    Bob_41 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Gas prices up....

>> BTW, does anyone know why fuel prices have gone up recently, or is it just because warm weather has arrived? <<

Continued uncertainty surrounding Nigeria and Iran.
  • Tony Conner_2
    Tony Conner_2 Member Posts: 443
    Options
    You Do Realize...

... that in most jurisdictions in the developed world, the taxes imposed on fuel like gasoline was - and may still be - far and away the biggest single component of the cost at the pump, right?

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Yet...

... the taxes on home heating "fuel" tend to remain minimal, whether you look at gas, oil, or electric "fuel". So if the idea were to drive the market to find more efficient heating/cooling solutions, an energy tax could be one way to do it. I'm not advocating that pre se, though I presume that once the ROI is there that more people would choose to upgrade their heating/cooling plants.

Higher taxes on automobile fuel is reflected elsewhere in the world in the form of more fuel efficient cars vs. what is common in the US. European automobile fuel taxes make up 70% of the pump cost... so, people there have smaller cars, been using Diesels in far greater proportion than in the US, etc.

Federal and state automobile fuel taxes at the pump in the US are comparatively low for the developed world. If the federal web sites I was able to find are correct, automobile fuel taxes in the US account for maybe 15% of the total price. It varies by state, naturally.

From what I can tell, the US automobile fuel taxes pretty much cover the costs of maintaining the highways and not much else. In the EU and elsewhere, the general fund is the primary recipient.
  • PJO_5
    PJO_5 Member Posts: 199
    Options
    Check This Out...

http://www.pennsylvaniagasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

About $0.62 per gallon average throughout the states (counting federal taxes).

That's about 24% where I live...

I sometimes wonder if we as a country will ever learn - the CAFE hasn't been increased since the early eighties. Yes, the new law will help...too bad it took $3..00 per gallon to get there.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Take Care, PJO
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Oh?

This thread topic is about the Truck ???? :)
This discussion has been closed.