Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

6 wire thermostat

I am having a very hard time finding a 6 wire thermostat to replace my existing thermostats. Current is a an unknown brand. Thermostat handles heat (Hot Air) and Cold A/c. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Q:?

Is it a heat pump or an standard heating/cooling unit? Standard uses 4 to 5 wires(if you include common), but these are readily availiable almost everywhere. Take a look inside and let us know what current wires go to what terminals. Like Green to "G", Red to "R" etc...
  • Empire_2
    I might ad

It's kind of frustrating when anyone in the wall takes the time to help answer a question and the the person asking the question goes on vacation...:) It's like I'm talking to a wall. No punn intended.
  • Lace_2
    Lace_2 Member Posts: 1
    Not Vacation-Flue

Sorry for the delayed response, but the Bug got me. First time in 46 years and boy do I feel like waste water. Anyway,the customer called in an electrician since I was too sick to work on the job and then called me to let me know that one of the 6 wires or shall I say the sixth wire was to an alarm system which notified the control office if the house went below 39 degrees so that they could notify the owner. Thabks again for the help.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

Well, I never would have guessed that one!
  • Empire_2
    T-stat

The stat probably has an alarm circuit for that very reason. I'm not sure if I would ever want an outside source of power or control to be channeled thru my HVAC equipment and its controls. Remote temp alarm circuits and controls are usually provided by the alarm company. I guess you learn something new every day....
This discussion has been closed.