Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas valve operation

Options
Are you sure the chamber is filling with gas or are you assuming this because you heard the click? The click will be heard, But the safety solenoid should not let the gas through. Just wanted to make sure on what you saw and heard.:-) If it is filling with gas, GET THAT PUPPY OUT OF THERE ASAP!!!!!! I have never had a standing pilot valve fail in this way, but I'm sure it could...

Mike T.

Comments

• David Hohengasser
    David Hohengasser Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Gas valve operation

I have a Honeywell Model# V800A 1310 gas valve on a steam boiler. It is original equipment on a 1987 HB Smith boiler. I had the natural gas off at the main to change some unrelated piping, so the pilot was out. A call for heat was made, the damper opened and then I heard the click of the solenoid opening the valve. So I just checked this with the gas back on. The pilot is out. The call for heat is made and the valve opens and fills the tubes with gas and the pilot is out. I thought when the pilot was out, that the valve could not open. I was told from a post above that the valve is defective. I am going to replace it. My questions is, could it have been wired incorrectly to cause this problem?

• David Hohengasser
    Options
    Gas valve operation

I have a Honeywell Model# V800A 1310 gas valve on a steam boiler. It is original equipment on a 1987 HB Smith boiler. I had the natural gas off at the main to change some unrelated piping, so the pilot was out. A call for heat was made, the damper opened and then I heard the click of the solenoid opening the valve. So I just checked this with the gas back on. The pilot is out. The call for heat is made and the valve opens and fills the tubes with gas and the pilot is out. I thought when the pilot was out, that the valve could not open. I was told from a post above that the valve is defective. I am going to replace it. My questions is, could it have been wired incorrectly to cause this problem?

• Rich W
    Rich W Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Dave

No matter what was done to the valve, it should never open when the pilot has been off for more than a minute or two. This is an internal failure of the pilot safety valve- not the 24volt valve.
  • Ed_26
    Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
    Options
    Gas valve

From your numbers, this is a 24v gas valve with standing pilot w/thermocouple operated pilot safety. With no pilot flame (after approx. 15 sec.) the 24v main valve cannot open unless defective. Must be replaced, & make sure your tech does the proper testing before leaving the system on. (leak test,pressure tests,operation check) Should do a clean & check on your boiler as well. (eff. test too)
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397
    Options

It's absolutely supposed to prove that there's a pilot before lighting the burner.
  • David Hohengasser
    Options
    Gas was flowing

Mike, yes it was gas. The smell was extreme. I have never heard of a failure like this either. I guess I was lucky the pilot had not blown out. I don't know how long the problem existed. New valve is in place an operates correctly. Thanks for all your help.
  • This is why we now have

redundant gas valves. The chances of two valve seats sticking open is just about impossible. This however is not the main valve which is the problem but the pilot safety not dropping out. The valve will open the main valve seat anytime that power is applied and you will hear a "click", the safety is the pilot electromagnet should have snapped shut when pilot gas was shut down.

Keep in mind however that the normal drop out time for the safety on gas vlaves which are thermocouple operated is 180 seconds (three minutes).

As a quick check to make sure the valve is passing is to go to the gas meter and with no other appliances operating if the 1/2 foot test dial is moving pretty rapidly then that is a good indication that the valve did not shut off on pilot safety
This discussion has been closed.