Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ancient Sunray Boiler Question - Leak

which can be removed and using a sealant put back in place.

The removal is the tough part, you need to drain the system down and let it cool. Then load up the plug with WD-40 and let it soak in. Then take a torch and heat all around the out side of the plug. Some of the old timers had a tool that fit into those and with suffcient torque they could be removed. The key thing is to not cause the boiler itself to crack. It takes some work but it can be done.

Comments

• Errol_2
    Errol_2 Member Posts: 5
    Ancient Sunray Boiler Question - Leak

I have an ancient Capitol Sunray boiler, size 1-4, oil converted to natural gas.

I believe it is the original unit installed 50 years ago. We bought house last year. Old Sunray chugged along nicely until yesterday.

At the rear furnace wall are two circular things with what appears to be screws in the center. A thin jet of water was escaping from side of top one. (I've attached digital photo to message.)

I called local gas company technician.(sub-contractor.) Immediately said boiler useless and I need new one. Estimate of $6000, which includes chiminey liner. 80 rated.

Second quote via Sears for $8200 minus 500 rebate for 90 rated with modern non-chimney outlet.

Ok, I know the old Sunray's days are numbered, and also accept the pros of upgrading. But the second technician said the round thing was heat exchanger. It could be repaired/sealed and boiler will be OK for a year or maybe longer.

I would prefer to delay new boiler purchase for a while. Got no heat so have to make up my mind soon!

Question: Is it, indeed, possible to repair this leak? Do any technicians still do this kind of work?

Thanks in advance

Errol
  • Errol_2
    Firebox leak

I see from the internet that this is a "firebox leak"

What are chances of getting it repaired? Or am I wasting my time...

Errol
  • Ed_26
    Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
    leak

Possible to repair, appears to be a clean-out/access of some kind. Perhaps bolt or seal deteriorated.
    I would repair it if possible, this gives you time to look at new systems/pricing etc.
  • Errol_2
    Firebox leak

> Possible to repair, appears to be a

> clean-out/access of some kind. Perhaps bolt or

> seal deteriorated. I would repair it if

> possible, this gives you time to look at new

> systems/pricing etc.

Thanks, Ed
    It certainly looks like access point. There's what appears to be a screw head plumb center.
    I'll get someone in on Monday. (Boston)
    Errol
  • Errol_2
    Thanks

Thanks Tim,
    I imagine this will be a two to three hour job. That's if I can find somneone in Boston/Dorchester who still does this.

Errol
  • Errol_2
    End of Sunray

Apparently the round thing is a coil access point. Old Sunray was actually coal fired and also supplied hot water. Leak can't be fixed.

Thanks everyone.

Errol
This discussion has been closed.