Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

utica boiler

Options
I'm planing on istalling a peerless model mi boiler this spring in my apt bldg (3 stories 2 apts 1 bus. all about 4200sq built in 1903 no insulation) could anyone tell me of there good or bad experience with the peerless model mi or the utica mgb? I can get either brand boiler from an hvac supplier. My heating system is a hot water gravity conversion with about 16 rads the boiler size I want to go with is around 165 k input does this boiler size sound right for this size ? will appreciate any answers j.h.

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Not even close in my opinion.

I can tell you that you are very short with the fact that you stated that you have no insulation... Did I read that correctly? I think in this case you will have to size the boiler according to the ERD you currently have. Also a heat loss on the building would be in order here. You really should think about insulating or re-insulating to save yourself some money.
  • GusHerb
    GusHerb Member Posts: 91
    Options

well i lied a little there's some insulation the rest is 12 inch thick brick with dead air space it's quite cozy even on the coldest days but the but the gas bill is way past out the roof . i'm considering insulating the walls with blow in insulation of some sort
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    boiler

I would pick Peerless over Utica.The boiler will last longer and have less service calls.Look at the weight of the two boilers.
    Mike
  • GusHerb
    Options

does anyone else have an opinion on which boiler is better?
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260
    Options

I would take the Peerless over Utica anyday
  • GusHerb
    Options

whats wrong with utica anyway outside of what was already said?
  • GusHerb
    Options

whats wrong with utica outside of what was already said?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    Nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

They've been around for a very long time and they have fine people backing the product.

Some people just prefer one brand over another. It's like cars.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    JH, before you do anything

run that heat-loss calc again. My gut tells me Mike may be right about the possible undersizing of the boiler.

I've installed both Peerless and Utica boilers, never had a problem with either. It would be a good idea to go with whichever one your installer prefers.
  • GusHerb
    Options

the btu size was just a guess but i have a heat loss program in the mail. i dont know what the size of the exsisting boiler is cuz theres no nameplate and i'll see what my installer says about which boiler they prefer (its probably peerless). j.h.
This discussion has been closed.