Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My new web site

Tim Gardner
Tim Gardner Member Posts: 183
I am a web programmer.

I would not recommend a flash-based site for this type of business. The search engines can't read the text so you don't get picked up as quickly. A more simple html-based approach is easier to update and better for you in the long run. You don't get all the transitions and sound track, but those detract from your purpose, in my opinon.

If it's not too late, I'd ask the designer for a simpler html-only site that you could update with a program like Macromedia's Contribute.

Comments

• Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Let me know what you think

Well it is nowhere near finished and none of the text is there but the basic template is done... Let me know what you guys think.

Mitchell Mechanical

Josh Mitchell
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Looking good

is me or is most of it another language? nice lay out...David

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    it looks sharp.

is this website directed to the Italiano community in your area? you might add a flag on the top right of the front page that Translates to English for second and third generation who use English....
  • Josh_10

No guys it is a template from a big business. My web designer called last minute and said his big time client backed out and that he could give me this web site at the same price. We are still working on the text. The pictures you see are of the demo we put together for our showroom. I will have this webpage up on www.mitchell-mechanical.com in a couple of days with all of our text..
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712

Remember who your customer is. If it's homeowners, stress comfort. We all love the photo of the pipes and circulators, but a homeowner might not think it's a big deal. Looks nice!
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462

Very Flashy, Id shop the photos to get the pipe dead straight.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Just two little things Josh

One, your site wouldn't open in Mozilla Firefox, just Internet Explorer.

two, That Taco pump in the top corner is NOT supposed to be hanging down like that. The motor shaft is always supposed to be horizontal, except when the pressure is above 20 pounds, in which case the motor can be pointing up, but never down.

Othewise a very nice site. Good luck with it.
  • Josh_10

Thanks guys good input... My customer out here is the Microsoft millionaire. I do need to apeal to the computer nerds. Most of my business comes from them. The photos and the text aren't in yet. About the only thing that is somewhat firm is the home page. Glenn, I did work for the Taco rep for a couple of years, I am aware of the limitations, but thanks...
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Josh

The O R is missing on the end of Radiant Floor. The categories are all in english but the rest of the text isn't. Is this common where you live?

Looks good

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Just a thought Josh

You never know when you might get a savy customer who looks at that demo and goes "Gosh, he can't even install a pump right. Why should we choose him?"
  • adayton_2
    adayton_2 Member Posts: 130
    About HTML

Your ANCHOR page should be viewable by ALL browsers and therefor should be Index.html ( HTML 4.0 Specification )OR Index.php BUT, BUT, BUT....
    Most realy GREAT sites then have either auto sensing Flash OR a banner that allows manual selection of this your fine FLASH page for those that can view flash. Regardless of those whom YOU believe to be YOUR target market, even the MickeySoft crowd oft uses alternate Browsers, therefor you do NOT want to LIMIT the viewing potential or alienate valuable clients merely because of their browser of choice...

alfred
  • Josh_10

Glenn, Sorry I just realized that my statement may have been a little passive agressive. What I should have said is that this demo is going into my house which is going to be almost 50 feet to the highest heat emitter. I am doing a personal experiment with it. As I did state though I worked for the local Taco rep. for several years. I have the inside poop that they don't give contractors. Which is why I am conducting an experiment.

Perhaps I should have moved the pump for the photo shoot, but I don't think it will have much impact. One thing however Glenn I would like to say that we are brothers in this industry and we should give eachother the benefit of the doubt. We work very hard and we all deserve a pat on the back once and a while, rather than take shots to show how smart we think we are.
  • Josh_10

Alfred, I am going to take your advice and have a link to an HTML version... Here it is. Again not even close to being finished.

http://www.mitchell-mechanical.com/dev/index.html

Thanks again for the tips...
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Put your phone number on every page and

make it easily found. People hate to search for a phone number.

Flash is fine except for dial up internet connections or some browsers.

If you want the search engine to find you, you need text with key words. Images do not work for search engines.

I would also have a page of completed job installations.
    Then you could refer to it on the phone when talking with potential customers.

Your web site will make your company a real place in the client's mind. Make it as friendly as possible to use.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    you asked

for thoughts. Why do people ask for honest opinions if they can't handle some constructive criticism.

Glenn just pointed out in a gentlemanly manner that per Taco instructions, that primary pump is installed wrong. Nothing more than that. I know it is, he knows it is, we all do.

If you have some trade secrets from Taco, why don't you share them so we can all benefit?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Firefox and Mozilla rejected it... :(

So it was not just me....
  • Josh_10

Bob, I did apologize. You know the problem with typing is that you can't read someones tone of voice. I didn't take Glenn's comment as gentlemanly. If you will look the word not is capitalized in his original message! How am I supposed to take that? And after I tried to explain why I did that I still got greif. Please guys don't take this the wrong way! I really appreciate you guys. In fact I just spent another $500.00 on an HTML site that was recommended from this very post! Like I tried to say before we shouldn't be tearing eachother apart. I was just excited about my new web site and just wanted to show it off a little. Sorry for posting!
  • terry_5
    terry_5 Member Posts: 92

It took a long time to load, might lose impatient customers!
  • Jamie_5
    Jamie_5 Member Posts: 103
    what do you have dial up.

Josh looks good. How much did this cost you??
    I would add links,like to this site ,post pictures of your work,
    maybe the benefits of using hydronic heat.etc
    Drop the music.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    actually

I think it's really sharp, Josh. You probaly already know what to do along with the other guys input too. Good Luck! :)
  • Josh_10

It was about $600.00 for this site and a years worth of web hosting. The flash site was pure luck. A big company backed out last minute and my web designer gave it to me free of charge for the template. We are working on another HTML site that people can use if they have dial up or prefer not to have the glam. That will probly cost about $500.00.
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Site look Great Josh

If i might add..That its ok to want to show it off a little!!Please keep posting we need all imput!!..David

• trade secret

I don’t sense Glenn was trying to be anything more than helpful. I’m unable to locate any photos on your page at this time Josh, but I hope you can perform all of the twenty one things on every jobJ

I don’t think that it’s a trade secret that if you’re working pressure is elevated, (I forget how high) the orientation of the pump shaft doesn’t matter one bit.

Don’t be sorry for posting Josh.

Just what is the “inside poop” from Taco anyway?

Wallace Radiant Design

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    You need to delete the word \"almost\" from

to paraphrase: "...we can tackle ALMOST any heating problem." With a website like that, YOU CAN solve any and all heating woes. We do a 2 year warranty as well...just always thought...why not...no one else does it. VERY impressive..... mid-21st century...very cool...needs a little fine tuning but so does ours...your on your way. Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    AND??????? Where the H--- have you been B.Bona?

missed ya man. Saw ya at the first wetstock and then you were gone. Mad Dog

• The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    Web site...

Josh,

A couple of things. The Flash is OK, but I'm glad you're also doing HTML. Like the others, my firefox wouldn't open it.

Also, larger text please. Some of us ain't as young as we thought we used to be!

I find the animated logo annoying after the first time. Don't need it at every tab.

Kill any thought of sound. It's annoying at best and distracting if you are in an office setting...

In the testimonials, I am getting square boxes instead of apostrophes in the "21 things..." section.

I second the need for your contact info on every page, and it should be especially prominent on the home page.

Clicking your logo on the top left of each page should return you to the home page.

I find the scrolling text boxes annoying, especially if it forces me to use my mouse, I can't use the arrow or the page keys.

I couldn't tell a TACO right side up if you hit me with it, but how about some steam pictures? A nice drop header perhaps?

Best of luck, though. It's a big and important step. Make sure you keep it updated on a regular basis. Sites go stale quickly. Keep it up to date with complete jobs, testimonials, etc.

Alex....
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    HTML site...

Josh,

I just checked your HTML site and it seems more straight forward and less "showey". A couple of issues (and I realize it's just the start of the design process)...

Larger text!

Format the "Services" section so it doesn't look like a long run on paragraph...

One of the web designers out there will know better than I, but I think the idea is to avoid the use of "frames". Is that so?

Your email addresses are also "hard-coded" as mailto tags. This is a sure way to get you loaded in to every spam database in the universe. You should have your designer code something like the following to obfuscate the email addresses to bots but be visible to humans...

[place after the BODY header]

<script type=text/javascript>

var _u = "josh";

var _d = "mitchell-mechanical";

var _t = "com";

var _l = _u + "@ + _d+."+_t;

var _m = "Click here to E-mail Josh";

</script>

[Place within the text where you want the email address link to show]

<script type=text/javascript>

document.write("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"'>"+_m+"</a>");

</script>

This will display "Click here to email Josh" as a hyperlink that will open a blank email with Josh's email address in the To: field.

There are a number of other ways to accomplish the same thing, but I've used this a lot and it seems to work well...

Keep us up to date!

Alex
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • adayton_2
    adayton_2 Member Posts: 130
    HTML Site

Looking realy good Josh. Solid and straight forward which your Older deep pocket potential clients will be happy to browse.
    The NOISE of cackling sound and confusing
    bright dancing lights and flurried motion that HURT your head are not necessarily pleasing to even the young Hot Shot up and coming croud. When shopping for substantial comfort ALL clients want is simply to browse a site of SUBSTANCE and simplicity, not one of spangles and bedazzling cacophany....
    KISS

Alfred
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

No problem opening or reading.

Under "Testimonials" the "21 Things" is VERY difficult to scroll.
This discussion has been closed.