Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water excaping from a second floor one-pipe steam Radiator

Dan_40
Dan_40 Member Posts: 15
I have a radiator in a bedroom on the second floor of my house that leaks a cosiderable amount of water out of it. I have checked water level in boiler and it seems to be at normal level. I assumed it had to be the steam vent so I replaced with a vent-rite #1. When I removed the old vent I had a steady stream of water come out for a period of 1-2 seconds. When I installed the new vent, It also release steady drips of water. The radiator is around 30 -40 linear feet away from boiler and still continous to heat up. What could cause this build up of water and is it possible that the radiator is completely full of water up to the vent. This is the only radiator in the house with this problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank You in advance

Comments

• john_149
    john_149 Member Posts: 2

Dan,

I am having the same problem. Tried different vents nothing worked. Talking to a guy at the plumbing store he said I have to open up the connection between the valve from the floor and the rad and drain out the water. Don't know now if it will help. Not sure I will do this myself rad is 4 ft long wighing couple hundred pounds.
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Is the valve to this radiator fully open.?

One pipe radiator valves need to be fully open to allow condensate to drain back to the boiler. The radiator also should be pitched ever so slightly towards the valve to aid in the draining.

Sometimes I have seen radiator valves where the stem is open but the disc and washer have detached, closing off the opening. Probably need a Pro to check that out.

Good luck,

Jim
    Jim Bennett
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    I think Jim....

Nailed it.

Occassionally however, a badly pitched pipe can make water hide in areas that can allow fast moving steam to "carry" it to the vent.

By reducing the size of the vent the speed of the steam pushing the water can be reduced. By using a smaller vent you might reduce or eliminate water "spit." But you will also reduce the heat a bit too.
This discussion has been closed.