Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spark tip/Flame sensor

can often be because the pilot is adjusted to sharp and is actually welding the tip. Soften the flame up while using the microamp meter to determine maximum microamps and tips will last a lot longer.

By the way I do not like steel wool for cleaning rods, I have actually found pieces of steel wool stuck to the ceramic on a rods shorting them out.

For the last 35 years on residential and commercial flame rods I have been cleaning them with "soft" clean emory cloth. Do not use the cloth you last cleaned copper fittings with. The metal on those rods is made from "Kanthal Steel' very durable and emory cloth will not damage them at all. Better yet just carry spares and replace them.

If you get a white powdery substance on the rods and ceramics (maximum temperature on those 1,000 degrees (F)) it is caused by "outgassing" from the igniter cables getting too hot a flame in their vicinity. It is best to replace the rods/pilots and the cable and adjust the flame for better combustion.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Spark tip Flame sensor

Greetings.In systems using Electronic SparkControl,I had to replace the spark tip/flame sensors {direrct or indirect ignition}After replacing the tip the system had proper ignition.What can go wrong with a sensor tip? Oxidation ? Thanks.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Flame sensors

A Lot of things need to be checked: oxidation, residue, which all lead to poor grounding for the circuit. Cracked porcelain etc.... UA can give you readings as to how strong your flame signal is.

Mike T.
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    another is

if a previous tech used sand paper (i cringe when I hear that) Sand paper leaves a residue, and when you heat sand you get glass, a wonderful insulator...
  • Empire_2
    Speaking of sand paper,

I like to use steel wool for cleaning. It is the best abrasive cleaner without the sand/glass affect;-)

Mike T.
  • Mitch_4
    that is exactly

what I like too, and I teach it to all new techs in the service courses I do. (basic training at th local college)
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Someone

Somewhen taught me to use a brand new dollar bill.

Sandpaper isn't allowed for reasons stated above and there was a reason against steel wool, but I can't remember it.

A dollar bill is rough enough to get any oxidation off without leaving a residue. It also makes a good 'show-n-tell' for the customer if they are interested.
  • Empire_2
    Just kidding BUT,...;-)

I heard if you use the elastic band off the "Fruit-of The Loom underwear", it has 2 qualities that cant be ignored,...1:) Usually outlasts, and is better that the original part, And 2:) It's the only thing we as techs have readily available to clean with. ;--) I was trying to be funny...... I will not quit my day Job at Victoria's' Secrete......;-) Sorry it's FRIDAY!!!!!!;;)

Mike T.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

Mike, which Vicki's Secret do you work at--I'm going to come see you in person!!:) I rarely go to VS, but the last time I really did have a male salesperson. Enlightened as I like to believe I am, I was taken aback. My daughter said a guy clerk would make guys more comfortable shopping for their girlfriends or wives there. My son said a guy buying underwear for his wife or girlfriend is going to be wrong, wrong, wrong no matter what--whether those undies are too big or too small or just right.
  • Empire_2
    Smiles all around;-)

;-)

Mike T.
  • Mitch_4
    Always

wipe them clean with a rag before re-install to remove residue from steel wool.

I agree about replacing, but some are too cheap, I am working in a low econmic area (which is why 95% of what I do is forced air)
This discussion has been closed.