Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Instructions for retrofiting continuous pilot to IntermitSpark

Options
If the unit was never certified with a standing pilot, then you are essentially building a non certified heating appliance. For insurance purposes get it inspected and passed as operating within safe paramaters, and get a copy to your insurance agent.

There have been cases that the Home owner did a non certified conversion, and the space heater caught fire and burnned the house badly. The insurance company brought the manufacturer to court, their expert said that the controls were not and certified on this unit, it was spark only,and had the certification reports to prove it.

Case closed, insurance denied claim based on unapproved appliance.. H.O. SOL.

In Ontario, you can get field approval for non certified conversions, just for that purpose...look into it. The legalities in your area may be diffierent, but best to be sure

Comments

• Mike Befus
    Mike Befus Member Posts: 1
    Options
    retrofit Modine pilot light to intermittant spark control syste

Does anyone have instructions to retrofit a pilot control to an spark-controlled space heater? I have a PD100 modine I'd like to try this on. I am told by experts that it can be done in about an hour using a Honeywell kit I am ready to purchase off the web. The retrofit kit seller referred me to this site for possible knowledge on this.

Kind Regards

Mike Befus
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    Options
    sorry

others may, but I will not give instruction to work on gas, the inherint danger makes it so, a wise man once said

If you have to ask............

some things are best done by professionals, you are talking about lighting a gas flame in your home, automatically, converting from a standing pilot, you are changing a systems factory components, it needs to be installed correctly and properly tested for safety

the last DIY is saw do this they were lucky, they only lost their hair in front, eye lashes and 1 brow, then they called a pro

call a pro and make sure they test it
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Pilot conversion

Mike,same as Gene said.But, if you insist.First,how many lives are at stake,then,read ALL instructions from Modine ,Honeywell ,and the gas valve people.Now as a professional, if all components are compatable, then I would make the swap out.You are taking a chance here ,is it worth it?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Selling to the public...

Especially gas controls and sending them on their way is inherently dangerous. It's not that we wont help, it's just a matter of safety for you and your family. Call a Professional and have them do the work, warranty it, safely say good night. Really,.This is nothing to skimp out on. E-Bay, I'll bet ;-( I guess they will sell anything for a buck.

Mike T. PS do the right thing.
This discussion has been closed.