Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there a Problem?

My inspector would be ok with UF wire of the proper size straped to the pipe. Not saying its right just that I see a lot of it.
The bigger concern is the white tye wraps as UV light will destory them over time, we always use black outside. J.Lockard

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    From another site

I found this on another site where the gent was asking if the refrigerant drier had been installed correctly. While everyone else answered the question that it was, I was the only one to see another problem.

Does anyone else see what I'm talking about?
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Well Jeff....

Well Jeff....

That fat line is the suction line and the piece of equipment is outdoors.

So the drier is installed on the liquid line and the liquid line does carry liquid refrigerant inside to the air handler.

So yes.... I would have to say that the drier is installed correctly unless, of course, this unit is a heat pump. If such is the case, it is definitely NOT installed correctly!

What are we missing, Jeff!
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    iS THERE A PROBLEM ?

HI Jeff. If I had a choice I would use S.A.E. flare connections .,also I would asightglass/ moisture indicator. When it is time to replace the the drier , it it a much easier tast ,as compared to the sweat drier.One more fine point,the really ,really proper location for the filter/drier is just before the metering device.Way up in the attic or in some crawl space, I cheat here a little and put my driers at the condensing unit, it's easier.
  • don_163
    don_163 Member Posts: 67
    I think Jeff

is pointing out the romex wire as being the other problem.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding!

We have a winner!

Good call, Don. In our area, codes require us to put the high voltage electric in some kind of conduit, usually flexiable sealtite. I'm willing to be that there isn't a disconnect either.

Professor, you are correct in the assumption that it's a straight cool unit and not a heat pump. I didn't think of that.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Good Call Don

You are sooooooooo smart.

What do you need me for?
  • don_163
    don_163 Member Posts: 67
    Yall better stop!

I'd never have anyone call me smart before..oh wait a second yes I have but,it had another word that went along with it.LOL.

And to answer your question Professsor...I/we need you to
    teach us what it is we don't know.

We're looking forward to seeing you in May.

• Techman
    Problem ?

Hi Don. Is that wire romex or UF ?
  • don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    It does

have the color of uf.And in some area is properly ok to use.

However if you're going for safety and looks,I have to agree with Jeff and install it in conduit.

Dont forget the dogs.. they sure like chewing on things that look like a bone.

How you doing Techman? I hope the warm weather is being good to you.
  • Techman
    PROBLEM?

Hay Don. Weather is GREAT.I service a lot of refrig and AC's, looking for another good season.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    And also......

...Weed Eaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starch
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Heat

In my mind that brazed connection is too close to the service valve. That much heat that close can't be good.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    That's true also

To me, it's not overheating the service valve.

I was always taught to remove the old drier by cutting it out, not torching it. Torching it drives any moisture back into the system and sometimes the evacuation process doesn't get all that moisture back out.
This discussion has been closed.