Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will a larger tankless coil fit in my boiler?

Big Ed
Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
A bigger coil will not produce any more with out higher btu input..140000 btu input will produce 2 gallons per min..Give and take .If you want 5 gallons per min you better be firing 350000 btu input. and that's with out putting out to heat your home..A bigger coil will be useless.

You need a storage tank or hot water heater.

Comments

• Charles_8
    Charles_8 Member Posts: 74
    It's a Burnham V7-5

My old coil is very corroded and rusty, at least externally, and I'm probably going to replace it rather than aggressively clean it and risk a pinhole leak later. Anyway it's not keeping up with my shower, and I have a new aquastat that is working properly.

I can't read what's left of the label but the manual for my boiler (Burnham V7-5) says it's supposed to be a V1-2 rated at 3.25 gpm. That would be enough when new, but as the scale and crud accumulates over the years I'd like a little reserve.

Will a larger coil (V1-3 or -4) fit in the boiler? Do the higher capacity ones get longer, or have more fins/tubes in the same space?

thanks
    Charles
  • John@Reliable_13
    John@Reliable_13 Member Posts: 34
    Call these guys, they are the best..........

http://www.tfi-everhot.com/index.html
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    I don't know

if that's a HW or steam boiler, but using an indirect is a possibility.

John's idea is good too.
  • Charles_8
    Steam...

it's a one-pipe steam boiler.

I just got an email back from TFI Everhot saying they only sell through wholesalers and distributors, and recommending a V1-5 which seems bigger than I'd need. I also asked about the fit of that larger coil, but haven't got a reply yet. May have to resort to the phone :)

-Charles
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    I agree w/ Ed

Though the bigger coil will give you more heat transfer as compared to a smaller coil after they both get full of crud. Is it worth it? Who knows......

Cosmo
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 177
    Keep in mind this rule of thumbs

For each GPM of coil output, you need 50,000 btuh of boiler OUTPUT. A bigger coil isn't the same thing as a bigger fire.

As Dan says, "It's like the ATM machine... You can't take out more than you put in."

Noel
  • Charles_8
    Thanks for the figures...

> Though the bigger coil will give you more heat

> transfer as compared to a smaller coil after they

> both get full of crud. Is it worth it? Who

> knows......

>

> Cosmo

At what temperature differential is that 50k BTU/hr/gpm?
    The water coming into the coil is pretty cold in winter, say 50 degrees this time of year. But is the output temp specified at 120, 140, or what?

I was indeed looking to improve the heat transfer as the coil cruds up with age, but hadn't considered that the fire size itself might be the limiting factor!

If I take the output of the coil and feed it into a storage tank, how do I keep it hot - a connection back to the coil? If I need to hook up electricity (such as a conventional water heater) I might as well do away with the tankless coil entirely. The water heater would probably be as cheap as the coil anyhow...

-Charles
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    what I meant

was that given the same boiler btu's when they both start to get dirty on the outside, the larger one will have a larger heat exchanger and may give you the same gpm hot water as the smaller model but may do so even when kinda dirty.

You and the rest of the world are better off installing indirect water heaters. Forget about the (dang good fer nothin except that its cheaper) coil.

Cosmo
  • Big Ed_3
    Big Ed_3 Member Posts: 170
    Thanks For The Up Date

Thanks Noel for the reminder . I forgot your rule of thumb for newer boiler outputs.

Noel , you still working up in Greenvale ?
This discussion has been closed.