Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Broomell System

Options
This is another system I used to maintain about 10-15 years ago (different owners), I got a call a few months back on no heat in several rooms (new owners). The system was REAL dirty and a handyman had attempted to flush it out, but instead pushed/stirred all the "stuff" throughout the system and therefore clogged most of the traps which I started cleaning out today (this I hope for the systems sake is just the begining). The new owners had the boiler replaced a year after they bought by someone unfamiliar with vapor (pressuretrol was set at 8#) and have had nothing but complaints. As you can see the linkage is missing for the doors (not that it was still viable but it wasn't really in the way so why did the installer touch it?), the pipe that entered the chimney from the condensing rad has long been abandoned/plugged. The list is long so I'll just shut up and give the vapor junkies there pictures.

Yes you still know who you are!

Pictures of the condensing rad and the regulator

Robert O'Connor/NJ

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    If

the pipe to the chimney was plugged, how does the air get out?

Oh I forgot, someone thought all they had to do was turn the pressure up!

Let us know how much fuel you save them.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    well, they got the right guy

on the job now..hopefully they want it restored..

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    venting

It would appear several hands have been touching this system ov' the years and had installed several different valves in various parts of the house. They are going away tommorrow for three weeks but when they return I will have a nice sit down with them an crunch some numbers, so we'll see??

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    gerry

Well, they got "a" guy, weather I'm the right guy is more the question but thanks.

I certainly don't see any problem in restoring the system, the problem (or the $$) is in the details. Heck if money wasn't the object I'd be restoring more of them but people just don't see the value (at least here anyways). Most people today are easily sold on spending their dough on the new Jag instead of (in this case) investing in the maintenence of their system and saving fuel. If allowed to work on it to bring it back, I could probably cut the bill by at least 20% or more (just a guess).

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    I want to help old boilers

When people don't see the value of things.

Do you do things such as offer a cash value buy-back (just like a manufacturer's trade in when you buy a Jaguar) Then, the home owner becomes beholden to you for a monthly lease payment.

It is then your turn to make sure the system works and components are replaced, but it is your decisions and planning makes for more efficient purchases. The home owner does not need to get highly technical about these issues anymore.

You can sell the lease payment on the fuel savings.

So, there is a cash value up front to the home owner.

There is a long term contract and payment with you.

You have to advance the cash value and the cost of new equipment, but your profit and your overhead get built into the financing. The same difference there is between a store credit card and a regular bank credit line (where the bank has to finance everything up front)

The lease payments the home owners make come from the fuel savings, possibly a net zero for them.

The cash up front makes this system improvement valuable to the owner, and you get work, and you get a part of the savings thereafter.

It is done for commercial systems, why not for residential ones too?

Thanks again for the show of pictures. You knew I would look.
  • thanks for the pics

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing another sad tale of vapor abuse. If we could only get some movie star to plead the plight of abused vapor systems on late night cable.....

Remember with vapor, mo venting mo better.

Best regards, Pat
This discussion has been closed.