Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Emergency replacement with an MPO

about the supply tee/nipple that comes with the MPO . Can we pipe the supply using regular tees and nipples instead ? Reason being is I like to have the controls a bit higher off the boiler , and that tee gets tight rather abrupt ( same for the return injection tee , but I understand that tee HAS to be there ) . I like to tighten a nipple threaded on both ends to get it where I want it . If the BX wire for the aquastat is too short , I have no problem running a new wire . I'm just talking another 2 inches higher at the most .

To keep a standard stock between install and the service department we try to stay with one brand of LWCO . And I like to have that control cut out power to the whole system , not just the boiler .

Is the 1100 mini the outdoor reset control ? I'd like to email you about that and a few other things if you don't mind . Thanks alot Gleen for the advice and the compliment .

Comments

• This job was scheduled

for next week , but as luck would have it , the boiler crapped out before that day . I really like the water heater fluepipe .
  • Burnham's MPO

and Alliance glass lined indirect heater . The homeowner had water touble in the past so we raised the 2 units up on blocks . Amazingly fast recovery time on the indirect . I'd love to try the outdoor reset option on one of these some day . Dave and Tony were my partners today .
  • Burnham MPO and Alliance

glass lined indirect tank . Dave and Tony were my partners today . The hot water recovery was amazing . I hope to try the outdoor reset option one day with this boiler .
  • Burnham MPO and Alliance

glass lined indirect tank . Dave and Tony were my partners today . The hot water recovery was amazing . I hope to try the outdoor reset option one day with this boiler .
  • Burnham MPO

and Alliance glass lined indirect tank .
  • Burnham MPO

and Alliance glass lined indirect tank .
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452

Pitching downhill. Some things never change! Other than that it looks better than most old jobs.

Did you post a new picture?? I couldn't open it.

Ed
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Yikes!

Between...
    • the drip pans
    • the down-pitched flue pipe
    • pumping on the return
    • a leaky de-aerator
    • flue gasses bypassing the chamber of the water heater
    • garden-quality gate valves
    • non-isolatable pumps
    • no baro on the boiler
    • vent damper on the boiler flue (or what is that?)
    • apparent lack of screws holding the flue pipe together
    • unhappy PRV
    • exposed romex spaghetti-style wiring
    • leaking aquastat on the water heater
    • etc.
    what is not to like? :-)

Can't wait for the Ron Jr. Magic to begin.
  • Burnham MPO

and Alliance glass lined indirect tank
  • Burnham MPO

and Alliance glass lined indirect tank . My partners today were Dave and Tony . The recovery time for the tank was amazing - the initial heatup was within minutes and the boiler did not go above 150 degrees . I'd love to try the outdoor reset option on one of these in the future .
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540

I like the bottle of Moet in the rack to the right of the boiler, it will look more at home next to an MPO and indirect!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    How

do you open the door to the fridge?
  • How ?

I don't , it's not my home . Besides , you ever inadvertently open a basement fridge with rancid food in it ? I cringe at just remembering the smell . We moved the fridge out of the room for the homeowner who was throwing it out .
  • Robert O'Brien

Ron,the best part of the job is that you're home posting pics at 5:30. It's amazing that you do this so fast

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Had a little trouble

posting the " after pic " . Floor is still wet - there wasn't enough speedy dry between 3 trucks and the homeowner to get the floor dry .
  • The trick is

to work in precision . I took care of the supply while Dave did the returns and fluepipe , and Tony piped the indirect . We try to get the boiler and indirect full of water before moving on to the easy stuff - I did the boiler wiring , Tony did the oil burner and Dave did the junction box at the ceiling . Thanks alot Robert .
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Beautiful job...

Everything is accessible, yet installed compactly so that the usable space in the basement is maximized. Oil filter, pumping away, iso valves, protected wiring, neat, plumb layout speaks volumes, as usual. I also like the expansion tank on the DHW system. Facing the pumps 180° away from each other should make cartridge changes very easy. I like how accessible the iso valves are and how you insisted on using full-flow fittings.

The only improvement potential I could suggest is keeping the electronics away from the de-aerator by turning them 90° away from dribble-potential. A set of webstone flanges around the pumps would have been nice also, though their present (above boiler) location makes mini-floods that much less likely.

I really like the new chimney connection which looks as though it has the means to be serviced with minimal disassembly. Lifting the boiler onto solid blocks makes it that much less prone to rusting while making servicing the burner that much easier. That you can achieve this in a day with the help of just two other people is impressive to say the least. Bravo!
  • Wow

I really think you picked out more than I actually seen when ripping it out . Good eyes Constantin .
  • Robert O'Brien

Ron,it's a good thing you don't use Propress,zone valves or speed headers.They would have you doing two a day!

• Darren Ross_2
    Darren Ross_2 Member Posts: 9
    Ron great job

just a question what's in the green box on the supply header can't identify it? Looks like its a 11/4 X 1/2 tee then the box is on that Thanks Darren
  • John@Reliable_10
    John@Reliable_10 Member Posts: 99
    Darren,

Thats a Taco low water cut off,
    Great job Ron!
  • Darren Ross_2
    Darren Ross_2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks John

We don't use that type of LWCO so I was curious. Darren
  • Ray Landry_2
    Ray Landry_2 Member Posts: 114

Nice work Ron what an improvment from before! How quiet was that MPO? That looks like a nice boiler for the money. Couple questions: Are you guys required to install a firomatic switch above the burner? I don't see one in the pic just curious. Also, how come you chose to install a tee before the chimney breech? For clean out purposes? Again sweet looking install I wish I could do them in a day like that! If I do a one day install it's with ez headers and pro press!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452

Got the picture. Nice Job Ron. WICKET NICE

ED
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Just from what I've seen

you ought to save them 25% or so on their oil. Bet that old-style burner had the old boiler full of soot!

• Ron

Beautiful job as always. Here is a little tip to make your next MPO job even easier. The right side of the supply tree has a 3/4" tapping that is intended for the LWCO and if you take a peek inside the juction box you will find a harness that is labeled LWCO. You will find a jumper on that plug that will allow you to wire directly into 120v Hot and neutral as well as the switched feed back out of the LWCO. Or you can obtain the Safeguard 1100 Mini LWCO that we supply as an option which already has the flex connector, box adaptor and mated plug on it to plug directly into the harness. Here is a photo of my MPO with the 1100 Mini installed and plugged in. Keep up the nice work!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Fine work Ron

Hey Glenn,
    Who certifies/tests the burners on the MPO? Burnham or Beckett?

Still any chance for Riello options down the road?
  • Yes

Next MPO I'm going to turn the aquastat and LWCO in other directions . Although it is very uncommon to have this brand air eliminator leak , with my luck it'll happen here :) Thanks alot Constantin for the insight and kind words .
  • Thanks guys

Robert , you would not believe how many customers ask us if we're going to install another boiler THAT DAY , after theres is complete . I like the Propress idea but so far I haven't seen one store or one home with the fittings in it .

Darren , John is right , it's the Taco LWCO , standard on every boiler for us . So far it's proven to be pretty reliable .

Ray , this is a quiet combo . Much quieter than say a V84 and Riello F5 . Nope , we aren't required to install the firomatic above the boiler . But we are required to install an oil line firomatic close to the burner .

Thanks again guys .
  • I think so too , Frank

I bet it'll be more considering the old oil fired heater is gone too . We installed an MPO and indirect in a home before the heating season started . I'll see if I can get the fuel usage for that job so far .
  • Joe

We work in close conjunction with the burner manufacturers to see which burners perform with various equipment. in the case of the MPO the AFG has performed pretty much flawlessly. There isn't much of a pressure drop through the boiler that needs to be overcome so as far as I know right now there really aren't any plans for high static burners like the Riello. The MPO-DV Direct Vent model is now out in the distributors stock and that is being equipped with the Becket NX burner. I'd hate to see you miss the boat with the MPO Joe just because it isn't being eqipped with Riello right now. The folks that have tried them are most certainly coming back for more. That pretty much tells the story of whether they like them or not. Thanks.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Wicket ?

I heah your accent from heah ! Thanks alot Ed .
  • But Glenn

I know a few oil companies that stick to one oil burner for just about every application . We were one of those companies till recently . If the Riello isn't going to be tested in the MPO anytime soon , will there be any warantee issues if one is installed in an MPO ?
  • Ron

We have done testing with Riello, NX and other burners on the MPO. The results that I am aware of determined that the AFG with the Beckett cover was the best performer with all sizes and was pretty much the quietest. There is no problem if you want to install one with a Riello except that we can't necessarily provide you the setup criteria at this time and that the MPO is not shipped knocked down or less burner and there are no plans to do so at this time. We have had quite a few oil companies that would only install Riello equipped boilers try them Ron and they too are liking them a lot. I don't have any negative feelings regarding Riello but the fact is that the test results proved that the AFG with cover was simply the best of the bunch with this boiler. I would assume that there are plans in the works for the Riello with the MPO-DV direct vent model though and that will more than likely be the BF model.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • Ron

If you want to use conventional nipples and fittings for the supply that is certainly OK. Yes the return fitting with the injection nipple needs to be used. The 1100 Mini is the Hydrolevel LWCO that we offer pre-wired for the MPO. In the picture I posted it is in the 3/4" tapping just to the right of the Aquastat on the supply tree. I used an older model Tekmar rest control on mine. The ones we will offer mount on the rear jacket panel to the left of the supply tree and mount on a bracket that protrudes above the top of the boiler off the rear jacket panel. Here is a picture of one of the Tekmar controls mounted on an MPO. Feel free to e-mail me anytime about anything you wish! I'm in New Jersey all of this week and will be checking e-mail during the evening.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    AS ALWAYS

As always Ron great looking job .I was checking out burhans mpo info it seems that a little bit of a heavy boiler i would assume alot heaver then the one you yanked out yeah .You guys rock my head bows as always to you straight forward yanking out get them in work ethics a the big plus is everything you do is on the straight and plumb your crew could travel around and show mech that it's not that hard to do it once and do it right .Once again thanks for the great post and i can only image what you guys could do not being under a gun on as you said a emergency replacement .YOU are as always one of the best around and never belittle yourself because your not doing 15,000 dolar boiler jobs they are easier then what you do every day .Peace and good luck your friend clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Awsome!

Sorry I didn't post this earlier Ron, but that is an awesome install!

1000 times better than what was there.

You and the boize do a hell of a job.

Mark H

• Mark

I really appeciate the compliment . Seeing the work you and Darin do pushes guys like me to always try harder .
  • The weight

If we're going down a staircase we always disassmble the jacket . It's way too easy to dent the back of the jacket and rip the sides where they slip into the screws . But that ain't too bad , maybe another 1/2 hour of work . I don't know the exact weight but it seems to feel as heavy as a V83 , maybe a litte more heavy .

You said it exactly . If you pipe your boilers straight and true every day , eventually you can install them as fast , if not faster , than the cut and run hacks . This was life lesson number one my old boss and great friend Brian taught us . Thanks so much Clammy my buddy .
  • Jeff Elston
    Jeff Elston Member Posts: 289
    pasta?

Nothing like retiring to the boiler room for a nice big bowl of spaghetti wire ummm yum
This discussion has been closed.