Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

outdoor wood boilers

toearly_2
toearly_2 Member Posts: 78
Jim

Yeah they cost, But they are worth it.
We have them on disk as well as print. They will save you money and make your job so much easier

From what I have been told the books are going to be reprinted in the near future. I also have been told there are going to be new codes for outdoor wood boilers.

David

> I just went to the web site and found the code <BR>
> books I can't believe they cost that much know <BR>
> wonder I could never get any of my former <BR>
> employers to got the company a copy or the <BR>
> us,state and local codes.the lest time I asked <BR>
> about it from the last preident of the company I <BR>
> was working for he just told me that the oldest <BR>
> member to our service department knew everything <BR>
> about code and that I was to ask him for any info <BR>
> I needed to know.The last time I tried the get a <BR>
> hold of the county code officer it took him more <BR>
> than a week to get back to me. But I try not to <BR>
> get discureged about it I still do my best to <BR>
> keep up with as much as I can. <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• jim_85
    jim_85 Member Posts: 17
    out door wood boilers

was wondering if any one has installed or worked on any out door wood boilers? I am in upstate NY and been getting some calls to do this sort of work but need to find a good unit at a good price to install if I decide to go down this ave.
  • Larry Savino
    Larry Savino Member Posts: 63

If you do a quick search there is a ton of information on the wood boilers on this site.

I am in Rockland county new york 40 minutes north of NYC and as of 4/20/2006 they just banned the use of them.

They are all not the same

good luck with your information search
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Got a feeling

You're going to see a lot more of that, the banning part I mean. Nearly all of the typical ODWB appliances are grossly inefficient in btu conversion and pollute like an old steam locomotive. The exceptions are well made gasification type boilers such as the Garn, Tarm and others which use this type of combustion. Garn is certified for indoor and outdoor use, the Tarm is indoor only. I wish that we could get mmore of the European alternative fuel stuff over here. It's high tech, it's very efficient, it's well made and very clean burning.

Leave it to the US manufacturers to take the easy, cheap, inefficient and dirty way out.
  • jim_85
    code and location

I live in Otsego,NY county about twenty minutes from coopertown. And as far as code goes I havn't heard of any restriction yet,but will be sure to look into the codes further before going in to this venture. I wouldn't even bother but it seems with todays fuel prices my customers are asking about this alteritive.I will also try to look into eff. of these systems as well seeing it was metioned.

Thanks for your input guys.
  • toearly_2
    toearly_2 Member Posts: 78

You might want to check out this link

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/CODE/pdf/outdoorwoodboilertb.htm

David

> was wondering if any one has installed or worked

> on any out door wood boilers? I am in upstate NY

> and been getting some calls to do this sort of

> work but need to find a good unit at a good price

> to install if I decide to go down this ave.

• jim_85
    code web site

I just went to the web site and found the code books I can't believe they cost that much know wonder I could never get any of my former employers to got the company a copy or the us,state and local codes.the lest time I asked about it from the last preident of the company I was working for he just told me that the oldest member to our service department knew everything about code and that I was to ask him for any info I needed to know.The last time I tried the get a hold of the county code officer it took him more than a week to get back to me. But I try not to get discureged about it I still do my best to keep up with as much as I can.
  • Dave Belisle
    Dave Belisle Member Posts: 68
    Outdoor wood boilers

A friend of mine called and said he thought his furnace was having a problem.
    It was running fine but even I started to cough in his house !!!

Down the road was a outdoor wood boiler belching out toxic smoke . The smoke particals from these things are so small the will get into the tightest house......

This unit is in a residential neighborhood where the houses are close !! There are at least a dozen homes being effected by this unit depending which way the wind is blowing on a given day.
    The owner of this unit has been spoken to by the fire department, the police , and the DES has been up to talk with him , but it doesn't seem to matter. After a while the green pallets are loaded in again , and out comes the smoke !!!!!!
    That's why states and towns are looking at regulating them.
    The smoke from these units gets into people's homes and it is becoming a health issue in almost every town. Up here in NH we are seeing more of these units as people are going to wood with the high cost of fossil fuels.

Some towns have outlawed them . Vermont did last year, the law was supposed to take effect in October of 2005 but was put on hold.

I installed an outdoor wood boiler for a farmer years ago. It heats his house, domestic hot water for the house, hundreds of gallons of hot water for washing the milk parlor , and a coil in the furnace to heat the parlor and part of the barn. So I know they don't have to be a problem, they can do a great job and doesn't need to belch smoke.

But when you fill these things with a quarter of a cord of green wood and the system is satisfied the intake damper will close down and belch Hugh clouds of toxic smoke. Outdoor wood boilers can put out as much polution as 1,000 oil or 1,800 gas units.

Like anything else , common sense needs to be exercised as to how you run these units and to where you locate them.

There will be a lot more regulations on these units as they can be a BIG problem and not just smoke getting into people's homes but health issues also.

Dave

TL,DMS BP&H
  • jim_85
    country settings only

I was only thinking of setting these units up for farms and people who own property. I have seen these enits when they run and yes they do billow a lot of smoke out of them.
    Yes the customer will need a little thaining on dry and green wood. I have had a fuw customers that live in town ask me to look into installing one of these units for them and explained to them that these unit are not ment for town or city applications. The thing that i'm sure atacts them to the out door unit over an indoor unit is you don't need to carry the wood in to your house and you don't have the chimney maint. (creasult) that you get from the in side units. I think in the right place these unit are good applications with a little common sence.
This discussion has been closed.