Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condenser w/burned wire

Options
"Only calls when broken Say's it all!!! You have to replace the contactor first to find potential problems. Could be anything from charge, to just poor connections at the breaker inside the building or anywhere for that matter. Do it step by step and OAHHHH don't forget to charge accordingly........... Be professional, because your name goes on it. If they ask for a bid price?????? My friend this is T&M.

I actually find that most of the major problems are caused,...AND I QUOTE MYSELF...."BY NEGLECT"!

Mike T. Sorry so passionate, but when it's busy, these people wanna come first and have you do the repair for a cheap price.....

Comments

• Terry_14
    Terry_14 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Just found a burned off wire

Carrier Condenser with burned wire to scroll compressor from the early 90's.

One wire is burned off the contactor. It is the one with the contact not the solid bus bar. is there anything I should look for prior to just replacing the contactor?

Compressor has good continuity. Oh did I mention poor maintenance in the building " You Cost TOOOO Much!". Only calls when broken!

Terry
  • will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Burnt wiring

Terry-As long as the compressor is in good shape, the likely cause of the burnt wire was either a bad contact, or loose connection. I'd give the condenser a cleaning for good measure as well. Good luck!
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Burned Wire

During a preventive mainenance service call, it is always a good idea to tighten all connections on the contactor. Over time, connections can come loose. This results in increased resistance and an increase in the temperature of the wire and contacts at that point. So, as long as your compressor tests out okay, go ahead and change your contactor, but be tsure to tighten those connections!
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Burned

If this is a heat pump with a one pole contactor, make sure you put the same back in or jump out one side of the contactor. That one pole contactor is used for the case heater circuit. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Terry_14
    Terry_14 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Repair complete full service performed

With my name being tied to my reputation on a job it will be done corectly or not at all!

I repaired the problem that caused the call and then completed a service inspite of themselves.

Thanks for the tip on solid bar for crank case heater.

Call backs cost me money no mater what went wrong being thorough is the key to happy customers.

Thanks for all the input

Terry
This discussion has been closed.