Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aquabooster or Indirect hot water.

Options
Tim_64
Tim_64 Member Posts: 76
I looked for the article inre the indirect installation by Dan.... couldn't find it.. does does anyone have a link?

Also should I just go with a Weil-McLain indirect? I have a friend in the business who gets me these items delivered at his cost.

Also had a crazy idea to buy a Viesmann that has a coil for solar...

tia

Comments

• Tim_64
    Tim_64 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Aquabooster or Indirect hot water?

Im exploring the options for hot water supply. Have a new Weil-Mclain SGO-4 (steam) with a 5 gph tankless coil.

Which is the most effiecien method for hot water? An "Aquabooster" tank run from the tankless coil, or and indirect system run from the boiler water?

Which system is prefered and why?

Also are there any favorites for tanks? which gives up the least heat, which heat the water quickest.

I also plan on a recirculating system so I have instan hot water..

thanks for your time
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Get a supper store booster

On steam in-directs can have issues mudding up or over heating if not installed properly. the Tank less coil in your steam boiler is less prone to these issues.

The down side is poor recovery but if the tank is large enough and you use a tempering valve it should not be an issue.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Agree with Mitch

I'd have no hesitations using an aquabooster with your system . Indirect heaters do work on steam , but like Mitch said the heat side can get gunked up and it can go air bound . You could set up an indirect using the coil as a heat exchanger but I wonder what kind of recovery that would net you and the added cost .

Recovery with the aquabooster is pretty fast actually . Not as fast as a top of the line indirect , but right up there with middle of the road brands . And with the proper control strategy you won't have to maintain a high temperature all year round for the boiler .
  • Rusty Powers
    Rusty Powers Member Posts: 30
    Options
    We prefer indirects

They are easier to control and have the best output.
    Gotta pay attention to the heat exchanger height in relation to the boiler's water line. Also mixing down the temp to the indirect is needed.....Dan the Man has a great design for this in one of his (many) past articles.
    It's simple an works very well. Well placed tees, flow control valves, purge valves, and ball valves. We haven't had mudding problems with our 12 installs, the oldest being 10 years ago.
  • Rusty Powers
    Rusty Powers Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hey Tim,

Check out pages 76 & 77 in Dan's "The Golden Rules of Hydronic Heating". The book is available from this site.

I'm not a fan of the W-M indirect in this application because of the top mounted pipe connections, and the missing tank drain- you have to pump them out....
This discussion has been closed.