Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

using a 2 way valve just with thermostat

No it doesn't. It's a heat motor valve w/end switch. Power open/self closing. Ah, the basics of hydraulics...

Comments

• phil rogers
    phil rogers Member Posts: 7
    using a 2 way valve with a thermostat only

I bought a taco 573-2 zone valve, in the instructions it outlines how to connect a thermostat and a 24v transformer, then another transformer in conjunction with the boiler terminals.
    im going to use it a little differently, i have a solar heat supplied thermal mass (barrel of water), and when its up to temperature i want the valve to open, and draw its supply water from the heat exchanger in the barrel, thereby pre-heating the return loop into the boiler, effectively fooling the boiler into thinking its up to temp, and not firing.
    i just want to connect the valve to a stat, independent of boiler operation. valve to open when heat store is hot, close when cooled. how do i supply the necessary 24v to close the valve, when the thermostat on the barrel says 'under temp'?
  • CHARLES_4
    CHARLES_4 Member Posts: 61
    Zone valve

No problem. If the 573-2 Taco is a heat motor valve, simply wire it to a reverse acting (cooling) type t'stat. Valve will open on temp rise, close on temp fall. With the heat motor, you're powering the valve open, and it will self close when power is removed. Use any type of temp control; immersion, strap on, whatever. Just make sure you wire to the make-on-rise/break-on-fall contacts.
    IF the valve happened to be a 3-wire/power open/power closed valve, you could still make it work w/2-wire controller. Ask me how...
  • phil rogers

thanks for the reply, if im not mistaken, it does use power to close the valve as well as open. without a connection to a boiler and a second transformer, im not sure how to get the valve shut. i dont think a simple removal of voltage shuts the valve.
  • phil rogers

ok, i get it, one transformer supplying open and close power, switched with a relay?
    i think i got it.

thanks
    phil
  • CHARLES_4
    CHARLES_4 Member Posts: 61
    Got it

• phil rogers

i appreciate your help, i wouldnt mind seeing your diagram if you could maybe e-mail it to me at philandifeyshouse@msn.com? the fax # here is 801-397-7010, but if you are able to e-mail it, it would be better for me, they get a bit grumpy about me getting personal faxes. although if fax is the best for you, i could deal with it.
    thanks again
This discussion has been closed.