Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GWP

Options
is there anywhere to get this kind of info?

Comments

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    Heard about this here and other places

Is there a new rating for refrigerants? I have heard of this GWP (Global Warming Potential) as referenced to the new refrigerants.

While R-22 has an ODP of 0.5 its GWP is minimal, R410a has an OPD of 0, but its GWP is (I heard) 20,000 x that of R-22. Beacause it does not deplete the ozone, but is an excellent insulator trapping heat in the amosphere.

I know that there are over 100 different refrigerants now (I used to carry 4 (*11,12,22,502))..there does not seem to be an easy answer.

Has anyone else heard of, or has additional information on GWP of refigerants? makes me wonder about pushing 410a

Mitch
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Global warming

Global warming is the result of heat not being able to leave the lower atmosphere. Substances in the atmosphere can absorb or relect this heat back toward the earth.

Although some refrigerants have low ODPs,they can have high GWP. But don't sell the farm yet. R-22 has a GWP of 0.34 and R-410a has a GWP of 0.39. R-12 has a GWP of 3.0, and R-134a has a GWP of 0.28.

Other substances that contribute to global warming are carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and water vapor.

Carbon dioxide, by the way, has a GWP of 1.0 so it has more of an effect on global warming than does R-410a.

Hope this helps.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    EPA Study Guide

This information is available in an EPA study guide. If you need to purhase one, you can drop me an e-mail.

Definitely good refernce material to have on hand.
This discussion has been closed.