Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fin Tube Baseboard Heater -- Do You Need Covers?

Options
Thanks. Can someone please explain why?

Comments

• Barry Freeman
    Barry Freeman Member Posts: 7
    Options

I have an old home with fin tube baseboard heaters. Over the summer, I had the woodwork in the living room and dining room refinished. Prior to starting the refinishing work, I removed the baseboard heater. My intention was to replace the baseboard heaters with cast-iron radiators. For a variety of reasons, I did not install the cast-iron radiators and now need to re-install the baseboard heaters for this winter. I am concerned that the re-installation of the fin tube copper pipe with the covers will cause damage to the woodworking. Instead, I would like to only re-install the copper tube with the fins as this would minimize the damage. Would the system still heat the rooms if the covers are not re-installed?

Thanks

Barry
  • kpc_36
    kpc_36 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    it would ...

give you some heat but not the full output.
  • Brad White_200
    Brad White_200 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Sure...Convection

Fin tube elements are convective. They thrive in output by having as reasonable an amount of air forced over them as they can induce.

When supported in space, there is a bit of circulation around them but nothing focussed. Place the same element in a channel just wider than the element and taller, the output goes up.

The taller the enclosure, the greater the output due to chimney effect.

Here is an example from a catalog:

A bare element selection has an output (at 170 degree average water temperature, consistent across all selections), of 710 BTUH (per linear foot it is understood).

The same element in a 12 inch high flat top enclosure rises to 810 BTUH.

Same element with an 18 inch high enclosure: 910 BTUH

Same element with a 24 inch high enclosure: 970 BTUH.

One thing I have done on projects where book cases were to be installed from floor to near ceiling or to clerestory windows above, is to place the element toward the rear of an open toe-space below the casework and allow a full channel behind and between the book cases and the well-insulated wall. A grille at the top let the warm air out.

This formed a natural chimney and buffer space and the low temperature water took care of it nicely.

Remember, once your walls and surfaces are warmed to room temperature, heat loss from the space stops, physiologically speaking.
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107
    Options
    covers on fintube

Really!!
    I also would like to know why.
    I ran about 12' of fintube as temp. thing and never got around to building wood covers to match the woodwork. I can really feel the output, If I have covers thing your are saying I would have a greater output???

Don't tell my wife!!!!!
  • Brad White_200
    Options
    Covers

will allow the radiation to have greater output.

Your own output? That is entirely up to you...

Then again, my wife has all of the covers ;)
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107
    Options

Brad,
    Thanks for the detailed explation.

I think I am safe, my wife never visits this site!!

Thanks
  • Tim_65
    Tim_65 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Fin Tube Baseboard Heater -- Do They Need Covers

Brad,

Thanks for the information. As my baseboard covers are only 8" high, I am wondering if there is really much additional benefit especially of installing them given my concerns about the installers damaging the woodwork. Do you agree?

Regards

Barry
  • Brad White_200
    Options
    If your concern is temperature

I would not worry about it very much at all, Barry. The air entering the fin-tube is usually rated at 65 degrees (cooler pooling air from the floor in a room maybe 3-5 degrees warmer than that).

The leaving air, with 180 degree water, I have measured at about 120 degrees or so. If you use outdoor reset, this will only occur in the coldest weather.

Now, that 120 degrees is emitted about two inches away from the wall and rapidly dilutes with induced room air so that temperature falls rapidly. The wood will not get that hot.

As for other types of damage, that goes to the skills of the installer.

Hope that helps!
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Options
    Why Not?

Why don't you install the covers, but leave them 4"-6" short of the woodwork? You'll get better heat transfer and still not damage the woodwork.
  • Barry Freeman
    Options
    WHY NOT

Don,

I do not have that option. The baseboard covers that I removed (to do refinishing) screwed into woodwork. While I wouldn't rescrew in the covers, it is a tight fit.

Barry
  • Barry Freeman
    Options

Brad,

I am not concerned about the heat damaging the wood. It is the installers. My view is that the less opportunity to do damage during the install, the better.

Barry
This discussion has been closed.