Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sizing jobs

Options

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    This isn't the way to do it.....

I get emails through a local organization from consumers that are looking for HVAC (and other home improvement) work. I've been a member since the inception about a year ago and haven’t gotten a single job through them. Fortunately, membership is free.

Here's an example of the most recent request:

"Ac unit needs replacing. 2 ton 13/S contact me with offer"

That was it. So, here's my reply (with the pricing changed):

"We would be happy to give you an approximate cost on replacement of the cooling system in your house.

Since we haven't had a chance to actually look at it, we don't know what condition the furnace and ductwork is in. This can play an important part in the unit working correctly and efficiently. Thirteen SEER cooling equipment needs proper airflow and we have found that about 45% of the existing houses out there don't have the necessary and properly installed ductwork to accomplish this.

We can give you a 'ballpark' quote of about $XX.XX to install this system, but this will not be binding in any way until we actually visit your home and see the existing system.

Thank you."

Now the acid response from the customer. Notice that he knows it all:

"I know the duct work is fine, the property is 5 yrs
    old. The ouote I need is for the outside uinit only I
    don't need any extra work. There are no issues
    complicating this job. I need a quote for a ton ton
    13 seer unit. The unit is on a pad the old one needs
    to be cut off and replaced."

Interesting. No evap coil needed, he is absolutly POSITIVE the ducting is okay and the furnace will have enough air flow through the perfect ductwork to make it okay.

Now to my next response:

"Just because the system works fine now does not mean that the system will be okay for a 13 SEER unit. Besides, to get a full 13 SEER from the new condenser, the evaporator coil will have to be replaced unless the existing unit is a 13 SEER one. The evaporators and condensing units are tested by ARI (the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute) to properly match up as a system.

There are contractors out there that will replace just the outside unit and walk away. I am not one of those contractors. The outside unit is part of a system and all components work together to provide your heating and cooling needs.

If the existing unit is a 10 SEER one, I may be able to get a new 2 ton condensing unit. Can you provide the brand of the unit, the model number and possibly the serial number?"

This happened late last week. For some reason, he never responded to my last message.

To me, this is kinda typical of the homeowners’ perspective of our trade. Most people have no idea what goes into our business and want something done cheap and fast, as long as it works.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    I think

You kinda set yourself up for these kind of worthless calls Jeff. IMHO do yourself a favor and get your bait off the bottom, there are plenty of 1st class folks willing to work with a 1st class contractor. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    I believe

> You kinda set yourself up for these kind of

> worthless calls Jeff. IMHO do yourself a favor

> and get your bait off the bottom, there are

> plenty of 1st class folks willing to work with a

> 1st class contractor. Best Wishes J.Lockard

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Sizing Jobs!

Hi Jeff. If the customer is sure that the "property "is only 5 years old,than why is he looking for a new unit allready ? What's wrong with the old unit?I hate "price only" people!
  • jim lockard
    Options
    techman

Poor install, lousy duct system at that rate the guy will buy a new A/C every 5 years. Sounds like he knows it all so best to just stay away. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    To Techman and Jim

The good thing about this set up is that I have never driven to the customer's place. All the work has been behind the key board so far.

I am willing to bet that the condenser needs to be replaced due to some recent tornado damage. There was a good bit of damage in the area, but not too near my house.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Key board time

Jeff,

Are you saying that keyboard time is not worth anything?

If that's so, I'm in deep trouble!!!!

Keep smiling!
  • jim lockard
    Options
    ok Jeff

Wish him well and wait for the next E-mail. J.Lockard
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Hey Jeff

I saw "Red Flag's" in the first sentence of your question. Yea, don't even think of wasting your time in this case. It's like someone asking you,...My a/c doesnt work and when you ask them your first question, they say, I know it isn't that.......Sounds like this guy is a qualified expert. Surely better than all of our questions could possibly solve.......

Mike T.
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Options
    This guy would be trouble all the way

You touch that system, "in the way the customer authorizes/expects the work to be done" and you then own all previous system issues which caused it to fail in the first place. It would cost you more time to write out the system disclaimers than to do the job.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Nice to Fire

It's always nice to keep your standards high and be able to fire a (potential) customer before the real problems begin.

I honestly feel sorry for the service tech that ultimately does the work, as he will undoubtedly be married to this system for at least another 5 years until the next condensing unit goes in.

Keep up the gerat work Jeff.
  • Techman
    Options
    UnlessYouCan

educate the new customer that there is a "reason" why the old cond unit died ,and ,the new unit will follow suit, and ,the cause of the problem has to be adressed or there is no warranty.If not ,walk away.BUT ,since there is a LOT OF MONEY to be made in the "diagnoising and repairing of the system",I usually try "educate the customer" approach.Then if they don't want to be educated ,now I walk away!Good Day All!
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    It's easy to educate

some people as to why the 5 year unit died, especially if there's a tree (or major part thereof) sitting across the condensing unit.

• Techman
    Options
    Sizing

Jeff, Good Point!Did anyone mention Chainsaw ?Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.