Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

quipment question

The 5 ton unico system was just large enough for the rest of the 1928 house. The house is constructed of those 12 inch clay blocks and brick veneer on the exterior, the dead men plastered over the clay block. This type of construction just doesn't give you much R value so the two floors soaked up all the capacity of the unico.

The room that needs the conditioning has a flat rubber roof of 2x12s on one half and the master bath above the other half.
Due to type of construction no over hang, no eaves, no soffit, no vents, ect.

Reason I didn't want to use the mini split as if I understand coorrectly that a unit would have to be installed some where in the wall. I don't want to look at an air conditioner stuck in the wall.

Now you have aroused my curiosity. Not familiar with radiant cooling. Haven't seen any posts on the wall with this. Or is the wool being pulled???? LOL

Comments

• scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    equipment question

Would this be the right forum to ask for suggestions on the type of air conditioning system for one 15X34 room?

Have one large room which is on the east end of the house that couldn't be conditioned with the 5 ton unico unit in the rest of the house. Don't really want to put any mini split systems in the wall. Currently the room is gutted to the 2x6 walls and ceiling.

THe room is 15x34 with 9' ceilings on a radiant heated slab. The room has three exterior walls and eight openings; two french doors with storms and six new energy efficient casement windows(aluminium clad ext. wood inter.).

THe longest side faces east with two french doors and two large windows. THe 15' south facing wall has two windows, north wall one window and small part of west wall one window.

One half of the room the walls are 2x6's; the other half are brick twelve inches thick with plaster. Do want try to inusulate the brick with maybe 1x2's blue styro behind plasterboard.

Master bath over top of one half with flat roof over the other half.

What are my options for some type of air conditioning. If need some type of air handler, what size need be for a utility closet. Anything made for residential that could be put on flat roof top? I know from reading previous post folks here don't recomend roof top units.

Looking for any ideas for air that would be hidden from sight or inconspicious. Got to figure out the air situation before the design of the interior of the room.
    Does unico or another company make a small unit for this type of application?

Suggestions appreciated

Scott H.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    that is a great problem *~/:)

it was 50 below yesterday:)

5 ton ac wouldnt get the job done...hmmm...

insulation is a good thing. solar gain into thermal mass with nothing to carry it away stagnates the place making it real uncomfortable,does the ceiling in the room have ventilation in the attic ? on gable ends? soffits? crown?

some secondary cooling?/heating ?

radiant heat has a brother, relative as it were, radiant cooling, it wields some small magic in the general equasion as it basically is "invisible" ,quiet and uses low power to redistribute the btu's to other more desireable locations...

this is a good place to find answers..even if they dont happen to be ones you may want to hear. *~/:)

you Hate the idea of mini split systems,thats sad because they have some advantages...

you will find some help in find a professional.... that way you can have someone show up and get a look at the reality of the equasion ahead of them.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    It's a shame

That you don't want a mini-split. The perfect solution to your problem, and they are fairly durable.
  • terry_19
    terry_19 Member Posts: 1
    no heat

i have a comfortmaker its two years old it likes to shut down no heat its like the thermostate does't opperate it at all i try a re set no good..it flashes a green light twice
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

Mini splits, or ductless splits, mount ON the wall. There is a 4" hole drilled through the wall for the line set, electrical and drain. The units vary in size depending load. They are very quite and work very well. check out www.mrslim.com for info on the Mitsubishi line.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207

Don't you have to look at an ugly unit mounted on the wall?? The house is a very nice 1929 cotswald cottage style home that I am trying to keep as period as possible.

I guess no one has any solutions other than the wall mount type?
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

From my experience, it only looks ugly for a week or so, then seems to blend in with the background, especially if they are mounted up high. And I understand the concern for keeping things original as I live in a 1928 bungalow. Don't forget, any A/C is not original to the house. Sometimes a compromise is in order. Maybe with a little creativity you can disguise it behind a period style covering that will still allow it to operate correctly.
This discussion has been closed.