Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this correct

Options
Ron Schroeder
Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
I find 33475 btu = 1 Boiler HP

Comments

• S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    My mind is wandering

Thinking about EDR and sq ft and btu's and what relates to what. (Too much time in the hot sun today)

Is this statement correct? 1 boiler Horsepower = 2546 btu's.

Just trying to visulaize a 1200 HP steamer a guy was telling me about the other day. Actually 5 of 'em in a row running an ethanol plant.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    i use 800 W as an easy number.

it is really 746W=1 HP. and 3.2 kw = 100k btu'S.

3'413 Btu =1KW actually

2500 BTU/hr = 1HP buh 2546Btu/h =1Hp =.746 KW

i use 25 cu.' for a rough guess on cement. it is actually 27'.

Boiler HP 33,475 BTUper hour output. 98,106K out put.

its like 40.2 megs
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    The other replies are correct, Steve

In an effort to bring it home, the 2546 number (2545 actually) probably is the heat of air compression ("fan heat") per Brake Horsepower applied to air for cooling system selection purposes.

Just so you do not pull any hair out wondering why that number was stuck in your head.

Brad
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    From the Book \"Heating Design and Practice\"

Boiler Horsepower: One boiler horsepower is developed by the evaporation of 34.5 pounds of water at 212°F to steam at 212°F. This is equal to a heat input of 34.5 * 970.3 Btu per pound, or 33,475 Btu per hour.

Continuing:

"Since steam boilers invariably operate at steam and water temperatures quite different from 212°F, we must determine the horsepower of a given boiler for the conditions under which it is operating by comparing its rate of evaporation with the standard.

For example, suppose that we have a heating boiler that is producing steam at 14 pounds per square inch gauge pressure from feed water having a temperature of 140°F. Referring to Table 1.1, which contains the properties of steam, we observe that the total heat in each pound of this steam is 1163.3 Btu, approximately, by interpolation.

Of this total heat, 140F - 32F, or 108 Btu, already is present in the feed water; consequently, the boiler is called upon to provide 1163.3 - 108, or 1055.3 Btu, for each pound of steam

Since standard conditions for horsepower stipulate only 970.3 Btu per pound to be added by the boiler, in the case assumed the boiler must invest 155.3/970.3, or 1.09 Btu, for each Btu contemplated under the standard. In practical applications, this means that a boiler rated at 50 horsepower by the manufacturer will deliver on 50/1.09, or approximately 46 horsepower, under the conditions of 14 pounds per square inch gauge pressure and 140°F feed water."

This discussion has been closed.