Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do I get rid of old radiators?

Charles G.
Charles G. Member Posts: 113
Paint them copper-colored and set them by the curb. It's even more fun if you can hide in the bushes to watch...

Comments

• Chick
    Chick Member Posts: 3
    How do I get rid of old radiators?

We have two old radiators that were in our garage when we bought the house. We are selling the house and would like to get rid of the radiators. Is there a place/service that takes them?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Where

are you located?
  • steve z.
    steve z. Member Posts: 11
    Radiators

are the best boat mooring anchors you can find.
    the only hard part is getting them to the lake.
    Marinas will take them in a second.
  • Brad White_88
    Brad White_88 Member Posts: 11
    Steve

You bloody pagan you. :)
  • RadPro_2
    RadPro_2 Member Posts: 14

There is a whole segment of people out there that love the old radiators. Maybee they are remodeling or adding space. Maybee an existing rad has failed. They have the preservationist/restorist outlook.

I suggest you take a quick digital picture and try e-bay. I bet you'll get some responses. Or try the classifieds.

You can always bring them down to the scrap yard for cash.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • RadPro_2
    RadPro_2 Member Posts: 14

There is a whole segment of people out there that love the old radiators. Maybee they are remodeling or adding space. Maybee an existing rad has failed. They have the preservationist/restorist outlook.

I suggest you take a quick digital picture and try e-bay. I bet you'll get some responses. Or try the classifieds. Maybee Dan needs other piece for his museum ;)

You can always bring them down to the scrap yard for cash.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 764

Your location will be the biggest factor. We need to know where you are.

Dave in Denver
    Dave Stroman
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Blasphemy!!!

Egads! I shall pray for you my son , may the gods of the deadmen have mercy on your sole..

• Chick
    In Syracuse, NY

Thanks for all the suggestions- I think we'll try the marina idea (if that was a serious one- hard to tell if you're car-talking me) since we're close to a couple.
  • Brad White_88
    Brad White_88 Member Posts: 11
    No, not the Marina idea....

Cast iron radiators are art, not boat anchors, like Rembrants are works of art, not painted canvas high-tops...

I do not give a hoot about Jimmy Hoffa, I just want the radiator they tied to him :)
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Sell them

List them in the Swap Sheet since you're in the Syracuse area. You should be able to get $50 or so each for them. You can find a Swap Sheet in most convenience stores for a buck. Don't pay for the ad until they sell.
  • Jay_17
    Jay_17 Member Posts: 72

I'm going to be perfectly honest, I hate to bring stuff like this to the scrap yard, someone probably needs them, but I have been trying to get rid of about a dozen good steam rads for around a year, and so far the scrap dealer is the only one who is really interested. I even contacted the place near Boston that restores rads and figured if I delivered they would at least take them, but I have never had an email or phone call returned. You could try ebay, but (based on similar situations) you'll end up giving them away and haveing to work with the buyer to get them moved (no matter what you say about shipping). In short, if you don't find someone in a few weeks who wants them, then your best bet is the scrap yard.
    Jay
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Chick

Can you post pics of them ? I may be interested, dependent on what they look like and their designed usage (steam or water)

• Chick

Tony,

Where are you from? Are you in the Syracuse area?

Chick
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Chick, those rads may be part of

local Syracuse history. That's where the Pierce, Butler & Pierce company was located. They were a large manufacturing and supply company from the late 1800s up to the Depression. I don't know what happened to them after that. But they made lots of radiators, boilers, plumbing supplies etc. I've seen their stuff as far south as Baltimore. So if Pierce made those rads, they might have historical value.

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Now, THAT

is comedy!
  • Mark_46
    Mark_46 Member Posts: 312
    Jay

In addition, cast iron in the scrap metal market pays very little. About 60 cents per 100 pounds in my area. Then, you have to get the blasted things to the scrap dealer because they wont pick up for such small amounts. That may require a truck rental and negate any earnings you may have generated by selling them as scrap. And most of what comes out of a residence are small quantities to scrap dealers, regardless of the size of the house.

Bottom line is radiators are worth way more as radiators.
This discussion has been closed.