Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tripping circuit breaker

Goodman Customer...

"A Goodman customer walks into a bar...." I can think of the possibilities. But every system has it's price point.

:)

BTW: Ed can buy one and get's to keep it when he is done. If not borrow one.... Ed- See Marty at Interstate in Brighton.

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    tripping circuit breaker

10 yr old goodman 24,000 btu a/c conderser on occasion circuit breaker trips any ideas on finding the problem trips at differant times cant be there 24/7 to watch the problem

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tom_49
    tom_49 Member Posts: 269

Ed,

Try installing a time delay relay in condenser wiring compartment on 24v signal . If they have a non-digital tstat it could be tripping because of people fooling w/ the it, not giving it time to equalize pressure before next start-up.

Whats the amp draw?? I bet you'll be needing a capacitor soon.30/5 370 volt I believe.

Good luck, Tom
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    A few things come to mind

Locked rotor on compressor, short circuit (squirrel chewing a wire does wonders for your remaining hair), water in system such as a conduit pigtail, breaker may have arced a few times and need to be replaced.

I would get a data logger with amperage reading, see what trip point is. May be a voltage drop in the system or elsewhere which increases the amperage above limit.

I imagine this is a 220V setup?
  • don_182
    don_182 Member Posts: 69
    A what?

A data logger did you say? Good luck with trying to charge a goodman customer for that.

I'm sorry just clowning alittle bit..please forgive me.

I'm with you guys..capacitor,loose wires and, maybe a burnt breaker at the panel box.Plese remove breaker and check for burnt marks on the back of it.

And one more thing if she has a fan delay relay on her please replace that as well because, it just a matter of time and you will get a call for a frozen up unit.
  • don_182
    don_182 Member Posts: 69
    Yours

was better..LOL.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Circuit Breakers

Evening Ed!Low volt connection inside wire nut broken causing chattering or ,is the C.B.panel located in a hot area,like a garage? Or one of the other ideas allready stated! Let us all know what you find out after you fix the problem.Enjoy!
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Could be ANYTHING...

We need some measurements and a basic explanation where you think it is coming from. What is the FLA when everything is running? Pressures and temps would also help. Breakers DO FAIL, but I will not jump to conclusions here. Have you checked you run CAP?////mfd rating? How do the contacts on the contactor look? What kind of stat, with TDL or not? Why even tackle this if there is no INFO...? It's like saying I have no A/C,..What is the problem.....

Mike T.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    type

One more thing, is the breaker a HCAR type? The nameplate on the cond. unit usually requires a HCAR rated breaker.
  • Darin(in Michigan)
    Darin(in Michigan) Member Posts: 90
    No A/C

If all other things look good, I'd check the line voltage connections at the unit and in the panel. Also, if the customer is on the end of a street where there has been a lot of developement(no permits pulled on electrical equipment)you could be suffering a voltage drop at peak usage times. Breakers are cheaper than data loggers:)
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Yeah, but

the damage caused by oversizing a breaker for a suspected voltage drop condition might have if it exceed the protective threshold of the equipment... (in case you were anticipating up-sizing the breaker and not that you were)....

Data Loggers Rule :)

Your point about development and voltage drop is excellent by the way.

Brad
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Thanks Mike...

The list of possible causes for a tripped circuit breaker is ENDLESS.

Hope you find the end very soon.

Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.