Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

temp & pressures

Options
I'm a greenhorn when it comes to A/c, I was was wondering if you could help me with my problem. After fixing a condensor fan motor yesterday, I put my gauges on and both high and low side pressures stay the same. Is that and indication the the compressor is not working properly? And what else should I check for.

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Bill,.

Not sure you receive the other replies on the other thread. Did you?

Mike T.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Same Pressures?

A couple of things...

1 - If the compressor is not operating, boththe high and low side pressures will be the same. Check the amperage draw of the compressor to determine if it is indeed operating.

2 - If the compressor is operating, carefully feel the discharge and suction lines. The suction line should be cold to the touch and the discharge line should be hot to the touch. If they are the same temperature, the compressor is not operating or the compressor has a severe case of leaking valves.

3 - If the suction line is cold and the discharge line is hot and both the high and low side pressures are the same, you have connected both gauges to either the high or low pressure side of the system.

Keep us posted...
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Valve handles

did you have the valve handles on your gauges closed? J.Lockard
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Bill

Since you have changed out the condenser fan, check for a manual reset switch which would have tripped if the fan stopped during a cycle. It could be located anywhere.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.