Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flexible gas pipe connector

An inspector on a project wants us to install some form of flexible gas connector on a 4" diameter natural gas pipe. The gas pipe runs from a gas meter which is located outside of the building, adjacent to an exterior wall. It then runs along the surface of the exterior wall before elbowing through the wall into the building. He would like us to locate the connector on the wall. The intent is to reduce the chance of the pipe breaking in the event that there is an earthquake or ground movement which shifts the building relative to the ground. I would appreciate any feedback on an connector which is designed for and approved for this type of application.

Any assistance would be appreciated.


  • where r u

    Where are u located at? I'm from Chicagoland and don't have that problem... However, I do remember seeing flex/shut off connecter connected right on after meter. I saw this at southern cailf phcc show... Any knowledgeable inspector will help you to get the proper one, after all "they" suppose to know more than the rest of us...
  • Flexible gas pipe connector

    The project is in Southern California. I have been involved in over 2000 projects over the last 20 years and this has never come up.
  • jim s_2
    jim s_2 Member Posts: 112
    Is this his own

    idea or is it code?

    What happens if the pipe underground snaps?

  • This is his own idea. He is an engineer for the owners lender. The owner is refinancing his properly, and has to make the upgrades requested.
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    flex connector

    This is a simple one...if he's an engineer and has that stamp, make HIM specify what to install and how to do it. Put the liability where it belongs. Enough said.

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    That a common seismic detail

    a handful of companies make listed flexible lines for that use. Do a websearch or check out the back of the trade mags, usually some are advertized there.

    hot rod

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

  • Thanks Bob,

    Any are there any manufacturers you can think of? Everyone seems to say it's no big deal, but I cannot seem to find an approved 4" flex gas connection.
  • try Argo

    Try Argo Pipe supply in ur area, even thought I'm not in that area, they treated me well when I visited the southern California PHCC show...
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317

    You'll need to know what pressure the connector will be at. There are allot of flex connectors that limit pressure to 1/2 pound. We buy our large flex connectors from Johnstone supply, usually used for feeds to large back up generators. Some one in the generator business should have one that large if Johnstone doesn't.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Use the search window just above

    here is one of a handful of connector manufactures that show up.


    hot rod

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    protect yourself

    but after you research the device send the engineer a written submittal so he is responsible for the design. sounds like he is exceeding code. sometimes when you go the extra mile in good faith you wind up hanging yourself.
This discussion has been closed.