Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

constance circ on outside temp

Whewee. I don't know of a single control that would do all of this. How about the rest of you guys? I kinda like the re-piping scenario.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    constance circ on outside temp

Well carol i got one for you now and i'll try to make it short .i have been called in to straighten out a install that was mis pipe with poor quality workmanship and a control schemme which is short of stupid ,let me start the HO has 2 hydroair unit one in basement and one in attic the original installers ran the 2 nd floor hydro air unit loop in a outside wall and to pervent freezing they have the circ running constant even in warm weather kinda stupid because the boiler serves domestic hot water also ,what i planned on doing durning the re pipe is install a 3 way valve on the pump inlet so when it is cold outside the pump runs but only circ the water between the supply and return of that loop when the t/stat calls for heat the 3 way valve opens and it's end switch make tt on the boiler they have heat i was also going to mount a freeze stat on the heat coil so if temps drop in the air handler the valve also opens and heats the coil but does not actavate the blower.So the question is as i looked at taco i series valves which has a outdoor sensor but i believe would not work in this applacation so i have opted for using a honeywell residental 3 ways 4 wire zone valve and a single circ relay with isolated end switch ,honeywell mech outdoor sensor and a dpdt isolation relay with the circ relay being operated by the mech outdoor sensor and the t stat and freeze stat controlling the 3 way valve which makes and breaks the boilers end switch.i know it would be easier to reroute the 2 nd floor loop but its a hard one to run on inside walls .So what i am wondering is there a single control that will do this or am i on the right track .What i an really trying to do is only run the pump constant to prevent the loop from freezing but not have all the migration from other zones and indirect tank .The boiler is a munchkin using 1 pump no primary /secondary piping so there's alot of thernmal migration and when the indirect runs the 2 nd loop gets hot also .I have given a price on a complete repipe abd vision one kit install but as always i like to do all my home work before i do the job .thanks for any alternative control schemmes then from what my thoughts are peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    what's your thoughts

What do you think of the control scheme for what i an trying to accomplish and on another note would a back feed from powering the cicr in guestion have any effect on the circ relay which is also making the end switch i myself see no potental promblem but could use the input ,most of my working buddies are not big on any control wiring and others i have spoken to don't have a clue or understand how to even attempt it .Thanks again peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397

You might try posting your question on "The Wall" on this same website. There you'll find the real wetheads who like to noodle around whole big systems.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    how about a diagram?

post a diagram of what you want accomplished
This discussion has been closed.