Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toshiba Mini-split

The spark killers appear to be snubbers to absorb the voltage spike that occurs when the coil of relays 43-1 & 43-2 deenergize. They are probably there to prevent the spikes from messing with the electronics of the remote control board.

My guess is T is a time delay relay to prevent the compressor from restarting to quickly after a shut off. If the system operates when you tap T, I would look for a bad solder joint or a bad wire crimp.

LarryC

Comments

• John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Can anyone tell me.....

....where I might find parts for a Toshiba ductless mini split? I'm coming up empty with my normal suppliers, and a web search was not very fruitful!

I need a relay for the indoor unit, model RAV-180K2U, and a service manual if possible.

The symptom was that the outdoor unit would not come on. Diagnostics point to either what the schematic is calling a "Timer" rely, or a component that is shown as a "spark killer" which I have no idea of it's purpose. I'm having trouble following the schematic, and could really use a ladder diagram!

Anyone?

Starch
  • Jim Bergmann_2
    Jim Bergmann_2 Member Posts: 79
    Spark Killer

Could the spark killer be nothing more than a high impeadence resistor wired across the open contacts of the relay to arrest the spark when the contacts open?
  • Jim Bergmann_2
    phone

Go to customer support, there is a helpline
    http://www.toshiba-aircon.co.uk/
  • Jim Bergmann_2
    Toshiba/Carrier

Afer a little research Toshibia and Carrier have a partnership. A Carrier wholesaler might be a good place to start

Jim Bergmann
  • John Starcher_4
    That's what I was thinking, Jim......

....there are two of them, and they appear to be wired in parallel with a relay coil. What is confusing me is the relay contacts shown in the diagram - it doesn't specify if they are shown in the energized or the de-energized position. I'll try and scan this into a picture and post it later.

Thanks for the replies.

Starch
  • John Starcher_4
    Here's the schematic.

The relay in question is the one labeled "T." When I tap the area of this relay, the voltage is sent through to terminal 2, which then energizes the outdoor unit. Problem is that the two "spark killers" are mounted in the same spot as the T relay, so I don't know if they may be the problem.
  • John Starcher_4
    Thanks!

Thanks, all, for your responses. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a source for parts, though. I sent an inquiry to the website listed above, but to date have not received a response.

My client is tired of waiting, so we quoted him a new system today. At least I know I can get parts if it ever breaks!!!!!

Starch
This discussion has been closed.