Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper going up some more

My bride and I were out for a walk Sunday and walked past a near-by cemetary.

One of the head stones looked a little funny, so I looked closer. The brass plaque commerating the life of one of our veterans had been pryed off! Some people have no class.

Comments

• S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Hang on ta yer hat's laddie's

The largest mine in the world just went on strike amidst strong global demand for copper ore. Do the math on that equation. We ain't seen nothin' yet.

http://www.purchasing.com/article/CA6360832.html
  • Frenchie
    Frenchie Member Posts: 113
    Ha Ha

That's funny, Mark! When you think about it though, the trouble in Prudhoe Bay is sort of like a "pex strike" in that oil will be going up more. Everything except wages are going up fast. Should be interesting for the next few years..........
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Have'nt done any research for Aluminum

So, where is Aluminum(PXA)? We are'nt buying copper so much any more.

Jed
  • A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257
    escalating prices

I was just wondering if any of the constant price increases are starting to slow down business out there?
    We have a small shop in Western Pa. so we haven't seen a big difference yet but with the way prices are jumping up so drastically it has got to start having a impact.
  • Darin Cook_5
    Darin Cook_5 Member Posts: 298
    $$$$$$

How much has this effected the price of fittings for all you Pro-Press guys out there? I just took a bucket of scrap copper back and got $2.20 a pound. Of course I would not have so many scrap pieces if one of our local suppliers would stop using a chop saw to cut copper in half when I buy a 10 footer!!

Darin
  • I wonder if

we'll see an alternative , direct replacement to copper . I'm talking about something along the lines of Bundy tubing . It could be soldered to copper using the same fittings . Not sure what it was made out of , how long it lasts or the price .
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    TecTite

Not yet, PP fittings are use where it counts anyway.
    Pex in the walls.

Still far cheaper than Tectite fittings, ($6) 1/2" 90, I'll never use that stuff.
    Our favorite supply co. missed big on that.

Devan

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • frank_25
    frank_25 Member Posts: 202
    I remember

seeing a few one and two family homes w/ black mono-flow t's and what looked like 1/2" EMT w/ slip/ferrow branches. As I remember, it was bent as if a tubing bender was used. Could it have been schd 10? These homes were 20-30 years old when I saw them, and that was in the 70's. [Does anybody remember the 70's? All I can recall is a hazy atmosphere viewed thru purple glasses where-ever I went!]
  • Brad White_108
    Brad White_108 Member Posts: 23
    The '70's

Worst music known to man. "Afternoon Delight", "Muskrat Love" and "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" could not be avoided.

A decade of culture in escrow.

My $0.02
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    And some of the best

"In the day we sweat it out on the streets of a runaway American dream.....Tramps like us, baby we were BORN TO RUN!!!" (1975)

"Keep pushin' till it's understood, and these BADLANDS start treatin' us good!" (1978)

and many others that still hold true today, from Springsteen and others. Who says the '70s were all bad?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_108
    Brad White_108 Member Posts: 23
    Redeemed!

Thanks, Frank. I stand corrected. You have to admit though, some of the music, including Disco, had many yearning for deafness.

But your point has me looking back and needing shades! I needed that.

BEW
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    but

disco actually is starting to sound good next to the (c)rap out there today! :)

Ring My Bell, anyone?
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Whats really sad

is that Brad remembers " Afternoon Delight "

:)

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Skyrockets in flight....

You got me, Scott. Ouch. It was playing during basic and post-basic training as I recall at Pease AFB.

Nothing like clamping a Sidewinder missile to a hard-point, removing the RBF tags and sending off a jet on a training mission with the kiwi crew singing, "Skyrockets in flight...."
  • ScottMP
    lololol

I guess in that situation, I'd remember it too.

I least we're not talking about DOA.

Scott

• Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Brad

You have just made my wifes Top Ten list at number one to boot, of her most wanted list. You mentioned "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" and of course I have been attempting to sing my parody of it for two days, she said that it took twenty years of marriage to get me to quit last time and no way will she deal another twenty that way. Now you must understand I said attempt as I could not carry a tune in a 10 gllon milk pail.

Bruce
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Muskrat Love....

Hey Milne...wasn't that your class song? (Oh MY!)
  • ScottMP
    Hot Stuff

Donna Summer :)

Oh some of the seventies music really did suck

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    True Story -and most embarrassing...

My most humiliating moment I share with you all:

When I was head of the GOP in Boston, one of my vice presidents, Rick Gaines, well, his mom died at a nice old age.

Naturally, representing the committee, I went to the funeral here in Boston. Huge African Methodist Episcopal (AME) send-off, lots of singing, clapping and hallelujahs! What a going away party!

They had hired a soprano to sing over the casket, but she was a no-show. Rick's sister instead did the honors. What a voice! Stunningly beautiful, she sang of a mother's love as only a daughter could do in tender grief.

Later at the reception line, shaking hands and giving condolences, I came up to Rick's sister. I said, "I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful voice you have! Have you ever condidered singing professionally"? She smiled sweetly, said it had occurred to her and thanked me for coming. Could not have been nicer.

Later, I told a friend I had gone to Mrs. Gaines' funeral and that Rick's sister sang... My friend said, "Oh yeah. Donna Summer."

I almost died myself.

I told Rick my embarrasment and he said, "Don't worry! She told me about that. You made her day!"
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Devan

Propress is still in the works, check with your salesman. We will be making a decision shortly.

By the way Tectite has been a tremendous success for the modular & repair crowd, pex liner now comes with fittings.

Companies have zero control over material costs, they have to look at labor saving materials without sacrificing quality. Tectite can do that...

Rick
  • Jimmy Gillies
    Jimmy Gillies Member Posts: 250
    UK copper tube

UK copper tube prices are going through the roof. 15mm tube has gone up from £0.56/M to £1.48/M, in the last 18 months...Grrrrrrr. China is being blaimed for buying up all the copper???

Ah....the 70's we had British 'glam rock', big bushy hair, 6''platform shoe(that was the only time I was 6' tall) and stainless steel tube!! Happy days indeed.
  • copper theft

just read in the paper that $200,000 worth of copper wire was pilfered from public lamp posts over the past 4 months in Richmond, British Columbia. and $40,000 in misc. metal objects (memorial plaques, park bench hardware, grates etc.) in public spaces as well.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Jimmy,

any chance you'll be in Frankfurt next March?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    chop saw?

how about when they drop it on the floor and egg-shape it? Or yank it out of the rack and curve it? At the current price, every piece must be examined inch for inch to be sure you get what you pay for.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Do overs

would you have asked for an autograph? What size shoe you wear?
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Read in yesterdays Toronto Star

that a man was killed as he tried to steal the copper from a hydro sub station in BC.

was only a matter of time till the diving competition moved to the shallow end of the gene pool...

Mitch
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    good, keep it rising!!!

maybe if it gets high enough we will open OUR copper mines back up, good ole made in USA copper!
This discussion has been closed.