Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GREAT NEWS!

Competition is <i>essential</i> and I am an unapologetic free market capitalist.

My point was that if your agreement says that you cannot compete with the union training program under some penalty, then that means that they, (the union) should not offer your same program or one that competes with it.

You see, if they did, they could say that you were competing with <i>them</i> and violating the agreement, even if you got there first!

That's all I meant...

Brad

Comments

• Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    HVAC Program at the College

Buried in a Newsday story today (titled: Cameras for jail's security by CHAU LAM, p. A32) was a report of the approval of the funding for the Grant Campus HVACR Building. Here's the info as printed in the paper:

In an about-face, Levy yesterday reintroduced a bill, which passed, that enables Suffolk County Community College to move ahead with its $5.4 million project to build a facility for training heating and air-conditioning technicians.

Levy withdrew his own bill in June after a Long Island City-based steamfitters union had lobbied against it, saying the college's project competes with its own apprentice program.

The new version has two conditions attached, one of which requires the college to agree, in writing, not to compete with unions' apprenticeship programs.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for showing your support for HVAC/R education on Long Island.

Now Dan's heating museum will have a permanent, unbarricaded home.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Now all you need

is the Unions to give you a similar agreement not to change their program to compete with yours.. thus setting up a violation of the legislative language....

OK, maybe I am over-thinking this.

Anyway, not to detract from the great news!

Mazel Tov! It's a (boy)(girl)!
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    No Problem with Competition

Competition is a good thing, Brad.

In a capitalist country, competition keeps all players on their toes to ensure that they deliver the best possible product.

We recently had a proprietary HVAC school open nearby. Some were concerned, no biggie.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    I Understood you Completely

I understood you completely Brad.

Quite often, though, it takes a disagreement to air the concerns and interests of involved parties. Now that this has been accomplished, I am quite certain that the college, the union as well as all the students and members of both organizations will enjoy and benefit from the educational opportunities that are, and will be made, available.

After all... we are all about providing education.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Amen to that! (NM)

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    And

I can't think of a better home.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Great news !

I'm so glad the funding was approved , Eugene . Just let me know if you need a hand if anything has to be built for the classrooms .
  • coolboy
    coolboy Member Posts: 5
    Last week was great

It was great news last week to hear that the project is going to happen and that everyone can benefit from what a new shop/classroom will provide for all students.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    *~/:)

Sounds good to me :)
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Thanks

Thanks for the offer, Ron. We have some awesome ideas for training equipment and having those talented hands of yours to help execute them would be great!
This discussion has been closed.