Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

split a/c line set

> Make certain that you specify that you do not <BR>
> want any brazed fittings inside the wall. It <BR>
> looks as thought he run will relatively short so <BR>
> this will not likely be a problem. <BR>
> <BR>
> Whenever <BR>
> refrigerant lines are going inside sealed walls, <BR>
> you do not want potential leaks contained within <BR>
> them. <BR>
> <BR>
> Have the installer bend the tubing <BR>
> instead of using fittings. This will reduce the <BR>
> leak potential and also increase the turning <BR>
> radius of the piping circuit. THis reduces the <BR>
> friction inside the line. <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• Jim_55
    Jim_55 Member Posts: 21
    split a/c line set

I am thinking about having a split system installed for my first floor and would like to know if the line set coming out from the inside unit could be routed through the inside of the stud wall and down to the basement and then to the outside? The evaporator will be in the living room against the wall that faces the front of the house and I dont want the condensor and the line set showing in the front of the house. I have looked at some install manualls but they are not conclusive. Thanks Jim.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Hi Jim...

It's all about ease of installation. Sounds like you are looking at a mini-Split system. You may have to open up a wall or 2 to get R done but yea,..Anything is possible. I know you probably don't want to open the walls, but in this case, you might have to. Its a one time deal and after it's all done you will be happy. The more time it takes the installer to get it pipped, the more you pay. Open the walls and lower your cost.

Mike T.
  • Jim_55

Hi mike , that was quick! Yes I have no problem doing the dirty work(opening and refinshing walls). My concern was the 90 degree turn needed to come out and down into the stud wall and if 3.5 inches of room was enough for the line set. As allways I try to educate myself as there are contractors out therte that will tell you anything to sell the job.
    thanks again.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Do yourself a favor

Make certain that you specify that you do not want any brazed fittings inside the wall. It looks as thought he run will relatively short so this will not likely be a problem.

Whenever refrigerant lines are going inside sealed walls, you do not want potential leaks contained within them.

Have the installer bend the tubing instead of using fittings. This will reduce the leak potential and also increase the turning radius of the piping circuit. THis reduces the friction inside the line.

• Empire_2
    Hey Geno.......

I have a bending tool that will accomplish this, but not everyone has it. Like Eugene stated,.....Eliminate all possible fittings in the wall or any finished ares. This will save many Head aches!!!. I am not a big fan of mini-split systems, but if that's all you can do I guess that's the only option.

Mike T.
  • Jim_55

Thank You.
    Jim
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Line Sets

Hi All.I agree with the piping procedurers. Just a bit to the side,why only one evap for the entire 1st floor?
  • Doug_36
    Doug_36 Member Posts: 2

Mike, what's not to like about the mini-splits? I'll admit, having the big units hanging up high on the walls makes them hard to ignore......but, their ductless nature has its advantages.
  • Empire_2
    Doug

Ya know I just have a hard time installing the darn things. I guess I'm old school where I want everything to be a breeze. ;-)

Mike T.
  • Jim_55

I should have said 1/2 of the first floor. I only need the split a/c for the dining room, living room, hallway. These rooms are all open and connected. I would need a
    1 1/2 ton system to cool this area. The other two closed rooms have window A/Cs installed through the wall. Jim.
This discussion has been closed.