Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

American Standard Arcoliner

KVarady
KVarady Member Posts: 1
I have an american standard arco liner. It was serviced 2 years ago and was running at 75% efficiency. I just cleaned it yesterday and it seems to be working fine. Should I still have it serviced to make sure the nozzle and electrode are ok? These were changed out about 3 years ago. Also I didnt look to see if it had baffles over the combustion chamber. On these pipe baffles that were made, was the pipe just cut to length and put in or was it cut lenrth wise also so it was half of a pipe? What happened to the original ones, did they deteoriate? Last question, what was the little tube on the lower door just to the right of the round window? Mine is cut off and pinched shut.
Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• jaybyrdslim
    jaybyrdslim Member Posts: 13

Hey guys,
    I'm working on an American Standard Arcoliner M#0154T Series #1BT J2. For some reason I can't find the OEM Specs on this boiler...Do any of you know what the firing rate is on this with a Becket AFG burner on it?
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    You probably won't find

You probably won't find specs listed this boiler is from the 50's and beyond. It should have a rating plate on it listing oil or stoker fired. I do know if it is a 4 section boiler it should be 1.3 gph for oil. That's what the one in my house lists. I just bought the house and this will be one of the first big ticket items to be changed.

Leo
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    That version of the Arcoliner

dates to the early 1960s, and the firing rate with an old-style burner was 1.35. I'd fire that AFG at 1.00 GPH, that will release about the same amount of heat into the boiler as the old burner did at 1.35 GPH.
  • Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178
    My all time favorite

I don't know Leo, that was my all time favorite boiler to service. Two big access doors, look to the left, clear sight to the chimney or breeching, no need for furnace cement. Unfortunately, they'd lose the baffle over the combustion area and the efficiency would go down. We'd cut a bunch of old pipe to baffle the hell out of the boiler, put a new burner in and go back every year to a clean unit. That round screw in tankless wasn't that great, but you couldn't beat this for ease of service, kind of the forerunner of today's swing out doors.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    \"Baffle over the combustion area\"

Never seen an Arcoliner that had one of these. Where did you put the old pipe you used for a replacement baffle?
  • jaybyrdslim
    Baffle

I've seen the baffles in these, but the one I was working on was missing it. What could I replace it with? It is also missing it's combustion chamber!? There is only one and a half bricks sitting on the bottom. Do they make drop in combustion chambers for these or do you have to use fire brick or wet sheet?
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Don't know if

these guys are still open, but they used to sell parts for old boilers, very old boilers. I was buying baffles from them up to a few years ago.

Oswald

I agree with ****, one of my pets, too, horizontal flues big enough to push an apprentice through. What goes around, comes around watch horizontal flues come back big time on oil.

• jaybyrdslim
    That would be nice

It would be nice to see those types come back. Definately one of the easiest clean outs I've ever done. Thanks for the feed back. I've got it firing at .75 gph right now, it's a very small house, but I think as soon as we get a combustion chamber installed, I'm going to bring it up to 1.00gph and install a baffle.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    That's what most of the

EuroOilBoilers always have been. Now the first two here are Burnham's MPO and Weil's Ultra, watch the wheel turn.

Horizontal for oil, vertical for gas, FACT!

Nice to see the ole timers who taught me and others proven right after all, after all they were right!

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    I've successfully....

Installed dozens of "Lynn Quickie" chambers in thes boilers. You've got to remember to put something behind it to keep it from getting blown back with a retention head burner. I usually just removed the bottom (burner) door, and on some , you might have to cut the sides down a bit to get them through the slot.

I agree, these were very service friendly boilers....however, with the price of fuel these days, I want my heat going into the water as opposed to it "waving at it as it goes out the breech". The baffle plates help alot, but those flue passages are quite a bit larger than the current crop of 3 pass horizontal boilers. Chris
  • jaybyrdslim
    Chamber

Do any of you know what one of the Lynn Quicky chambers go for ? Just so I can let the guy know.
    Thanks for info guys!
  • jonesport
    jonesport Member Posts: 1

What does the acronym "FACT" stand for? I am a computer lingo illiterate, sorry.
  • Dick Charland
    Hope I'm not showing my maturity????

The bafle waas a flat plate with notches that installed above the combustion area below the rear flue pass. If you look you'll see a couple of jogs that it would lie on causing the flue gases to wipe the crown sheet and then pass through the sections. If you take old pipe and cut it to the lenth (depth) of the inside flue path area, lay it in horizontally you baffle down that open area. 1 1/4" pipe worked fine, fill it all in and you've cut down on how fast the heat blows through.

As Chris said, you can use a Quickie box if needed, I fired a number of them without fireboxes when installing new burners years ago. It is a wet base boiler, maybe add a blanket to soften the noise.

Craziest thing I ever saw was an "expert" who filled in the firebox on one and then fired a burner through the door.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    It's not an acronym

That's Firedragon's way of saying "if you doubt what I'm telling you, look it up". I've never known him to be wrong when he does this, and that's a FACT!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    \"Hope I'm not showing my maturity????\"

If that's what it takes to answer a question, you've done the right thing!

Betcha that "expert" never looked in back of the boiler to see where the return tappings were. The fact that they are just above floor level says "wet base" for sure. But there were dry-base Arcoliners.......
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836

You're right. They did have the baffle plate above the combustion area. It was maybe 1/8" or 3/16" thick and slipped into those slots at the rear and rear sides of the heat exchanger.In the oil truck maintenance garage, the mechanic got some thick stainless steel and would cut them to size for us to replace the ones that were missing. Replace the "piggy back" burner with a CRD or EZ and they would burn beautifully. The weak spot of them was the screw- in domestic coil. Replacing one of those was a lot of fun. I would rather have abandonned them. A breeze to service. They don't make them like that any more.
  • Mt. Falls Mikey
    Mt. Falls Mikey Member Posts: 30
    I cut my teeth on these...

A sweet boiler to service,and not a bad runner with a Beckett AFG eiether. been a long time since I saw one with baffles,but Dad and I used firebrick in some.Which one of the old A/S burners had the adjustable choke,which was accessed from the door on the back of the burner???
  • Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    burner

Arcoflame, Just serviced one yesterday. Installed in the 50's. New burner motor, new pump and several transformers later she still makes good fire. Efficiency not impressive, but starts and runs everyday. HO is 80, built the house and everyting is still original.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Wasn't that Arcoflame burner

an early Shellhead design? If memory serves I think it made what they called a "Sunflower Flame"......
  • Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    you

got it. Mine still has combustion baffle. Original steel brush to clean the flues is still there , too.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Until I left.....

My last job, I always had a couple of the "drive couplings" in the secret drawer, for those piggyback Arco burners.

They really DID run well and for a long time too! Frank, I think you're right about them being one of the original shellhead type burner. These puppies had some HEFT too. the entire housing was made from cast iron, with the fan over the assembly. There was a set screw and damper to set and adjust the air on the back/side of the cast housing.(just like the blue angels had) In its day, it was a very "compact unit" compared to its peers.

Memories are nice but fuel was cheap then....I used to find slips on the walls by old equipment, from the old company that showed coal and oil tons/gallons and the prices were incredible. Fuel oil being deivered at .09 cents/gal, and coke and pea coal at between 2&4 $ /ton. That was a long time ago. Chris
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Definitely have it serviced

and if you get that deer-in-the-headlights look when you ask about the baffle, show the tech a printout of this thread.
  • Dick Charland

There was one baffle (plate) originally that was installed toward the rear above the combustion chamber just under the crown sheet of the boiler. It was to prevent the flue gases from just rushing up and out. There were no baffles in the flue passes. In order to inscrease the efficiency of the boiler, we would cut pipe to length and stack it into the flue passes to baffle the passage, slow down the flue gases, provide more surface area to hold the heat etc.
  • dan123
    dan123 Member Posts: 2

American Standard Arcoliner baffle? what does it look like< anyone have a picture of a original or homemade one that people talk about making 
  • dan123
    dan123 Member Posts: 2

American Standard Arcoliner baffle? what does it look like< anyone have a picture of a original or homemade one that people talk about making 
  • abenaqui
    abenaqui Member Posts: 1

Am pulling a "picture perfect" 5-Section Arcoliner next week. It's all there.

Anyone want pics?

Somewhere I should also have Manuals. We installed these in the Fifties too.

Great Boilers ..... all you have to do is feed them!
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    I Already Have Some

picture perfect, right?
This discussion has been closed.