Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler

Al Letellier
Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
The Weil boilers today are even better that than old VHE. Find a WM heating contractor in your area and talk to him about Weil's line of boilers. CGi and GV boilers are great units. We do more oil here than gas, but when it's gas, we go Weil (unless something else is spec'd or the system begs for something else). I believe that any contractor that locks himself into one boiler line is shortchanging his customers. No one boiler model or line is always the right choice for the application, and there may be higher tech stuff out there, but for your application, as described, I would point you to Weil Mclain. They've never let us, or our customers, down. Enough said.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=248&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• vhlaundry
    vhlaundry Member Posts: 41
    Ultimate Boiler Configuration

OK my 1982 WM HE series is dead. I turned it off and as it cooled it leaked. Centerpoint came out and said the cast iron block is shot. However, he never really pinpointed the problem. He just pointed to the drops coming down.

Anyhow I want to get the best system/configuration. I am assuming I am going to get all new everything. My current system was configured years ago by the owner who owned a hotel. I have 3 zones, 3 pumps, 3 B&G motors, 3 Honeywell relays. I am just starting to look into the subject.

I vent thought a chimney now. I have read about Buderus model 124, but have also read about high efficiency 94%+ systems. I have also heard about fill valves, zone valves, tekmar controls, new expansion tank.

House is about 2400 square feet above grade. Anyone want to take a stab at listing what they would recommend if I want to start from scratch?????
  • Al Letellier
    replacement???

> OK my 1982 WM HE series is dead. I turned it off

> and as it cooled it leaked. Centerpoint came out

> and said the cast iron block is shot. However, he

> never really pinpointed the problem. He just

> pointed to the drops coming down.

>

> Anyhow I

> want to get the best system/configuration. I am

> assuming I am going to get all new everything. My

> current system was configured years ago by the

> owner who owned a hotel. I have 3 zones, 3 pumps,

> 3 B&G motors, 3 Honeywell relays. I am just

> starting to look into the subject.

>

> I vent

> thought a chimney now. I have read about Buderus

> model 124, but have also read about high

> efficiency 94%+ systems. I have also heard about

> fill valves, zone valves, tekmar controls, new

> expansion tank.

>

> House is about 2400 square

> feet above grade. Anyone want to take a stab at

> listing what they would recommend if I want to

> start from scratch?????

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al Letellier
    replacement???

There is a lot to consider and a real pro wouldn't "make a stab" at what to do with your system based on the information you give. Get together with a reliable pro and discuss your options. Your existing boiler was a good unit and Weil has some great new stuff out there with very high efficiencies. Being 23 years old, your HE is probably due for replacement, regardless of what's wrong with it.
    The heat load, system design, existing equipment layout, domestic hot water needs and venting all play a part in determining what would be your best solution. We can all "put in out two cents worth", but nothing beats eyes-on inpection and evaluation. Hire a PRO !!!!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ragu_3
    Ragu_3 Member Posts: 3
    Al

Once again, your advice is right on the money! Were you my alter ego in a past life?

Replacements were a killer for me in the beginning. Most guys were quoting replacements as those cut 2 pipes, slip the old one out and slide the new one in, fill, purge, test and bye bye. Can't do it. There are no shortcuts.

To the Postee: get somebody real.
  • Al Letellier
    alter ego

For your sake, Ragu, I hope not. But I do come form an old school of thought that says " If you don't have the time or the smarts to do it right the first time, how are you ever going find the time to do it again?????"
    How many times that I go out and see where a customer got ripped off by someone who just doesn't care enough to be a pro????? As well as being an installing contractor, I do a lot of consulting and insurance work, and I have to admit some of the stuff I see almost makes me ashamed to be in this business...almost, but not enough to make me walk away. All of us who really care can and do make a difference...that's what makes it all worth the effort.
  • Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    Let me know

let me know what you decide to do. I have a 1983 VHE that is almost exactly the same boiler. It's also at the end of it's life. The block is still good, but the inducer housing is rotted out, and leaking on the burners. Also, the circ. pump is dripping, and the exhaust run (horizontal through wall)is corroded,and dripping on the basement floor. I only have 1 baseboard zone heating 1700 sq. feet, but it is amazing how efficient this boiler has been, even in it's present condition. My largest gas bill was $205 this winter. And that's in a house in Wisconsin that is over 100 years old with original windows!! (natural gas here at $1.00 per therm including meter and all other charges) Based on this experience, I would personally like as close to an exact replacement as I can get.
This discussion has been closed.