Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Burnham V7 series boiler

johnm
johnm Member Posts: 1
Boiler leaks a small amount of water (for now). It is a Burnham model V7 series about 81/2 years old. Are there any recalls on this boiler? I am not the original owner but the boiler is still in the initial 10-year warranty period. Do I have any recourse?

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Get in touch with Glenn Stanton

at Burnham. Technically he's their training manager but is the de facto go-to guy as well, and one of the industry's best. You can e-mail him at gstanton@burnham.com .
  • John

There is no recall on the V-7 boilers. If this is a steam boiler it has a 10 year warranty and a limited lifetime warranty if it is a water boiler. You will need to contact our Customer Service Support people to discuss you options. You can either contact them yourself or have your contractor call them. Be sure to have your complete Model and Serial Numbers ready before calling. The toll-free number for V-7 Support is 1-888-432-8887.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

• Young One
    Young One Member Posts: 16
    Is this a Cast Iron Sectional

I am not sure about Burnham warranties but some are not transferable, and are for the original owner only.

I am not familiar with the Burnham product line, but my experience tells me that it may be unlikely that a manufacturers defect would appear after 8 years. Usually if it doesn't leak at start-up it is not a defect.

You should always be prepared to pay for the replacement.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    do a search

do a search on this site(or any other heating site) of the v7 series--you will find a lot of info , most of them crack across the bottom of the cleanout plates ---i would consider it a defect when numerous boilers of the same model crack in the same exact spot ..
  • R Stone
    R Stone Member Posts: 12
    Leaking boiler

Is your boiler leaking on the clean-out side of the boiler?
    The ones I have found leak around the middle of the section below the cleanouts. Burnham will stand behind the boiler and will give a little towards labor depending on the age. We have swapped out quite a few in the last few years.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

I have a V-7 boiler that has a leak in its block. Burnham will replace block but not pay for labor. They said if it was within 8 years they would pay $500 towards labor. Apparently, the block was made with too thin of steel. This has been corrected on later models. Mine was purchased in 9/97- which makes it two months too old. I plan on calling Burnham and making a consumer complaint. Three plumbers have told me that they are replacing a lot of these burners because of a leak in the block. Can someone out there give me advice on how to proceed? How does the company come up with 8 months, vs. using the serial number? Do I have any recourse? Thanks.
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    stand your ground

nothing against Burnham, they did make a fine boiler, they messed up, tried to save money by thinning castings or something, now they are backpeddling, the idiot that came up with this was hopefully fired for the company has lost a lot of confidence.

My advice to Burnham is to give Susan a boiler and cover labor, she will then tell everyone how great they are, or don't and she will tell the opposite I hope.

As consumers in this country we need to band together and stand strong for we do not have the support from the govt we once had.

Case in point- we own a 2000 Subaru Outback, 98?-02? or so had bad engines, they bored out the 4cylinders, this left no material for the heads to seal and they leak, they will leak. Their fix? replace head gasket and add sealer, extend warranty to 100,000. when I asked the manager what happnes after 100,000 he said I would be buying a new Subaru by then..........NO I WON'T

It's a shame too because my wife and I really love the car, it is the companies response to a serious issue and lack of support from the feds that are causing us to shop elsewhere.
  • Joel_3
    Joel_3 Member Posts: 166
    ?

So they extended the warrantee to 100k and you want them to make it longer ?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Gene_3
    YES

Subaru made a bad engine OK? Since when do head gaskets constantly blow on an engine??? check the web, most people with these years have had them done several times, we're on our second set at 70,000, I was planning on keeping the car for @200,000, how do I resell it???????

ON top of the that the last time they did it they smahed the spark plugs, so it skipped after, they wanted to sell me a transmission, I refused, I knew it was a skip, then it kept having the engine light on and the code was for #2 cylinder misfire, they couldn't find it, so I removed the #2 plug and stuck it up the managers attitude

Subaru sucks and their dealers suck and the service sucks
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    guess somebody won't be buying anymore Subaru's

• Gene_3
    hehe

yeah, the chances are slim to none

in fact the service manager even said at first code for #2 cyl misfire "it can't be the spark plugs cause they would've seen it when they had the heads off".

after I get service like that I make it my calling to spread the word too

it's a shame that good to excellent service in all trades doesn't get the same enthusiasm.

Let's make a pact, next good service you get tell their boss or manager so they get credit, I've done it, written letters, made calls, it feels good.
  • Jim_73
    Jim_73 Member Posts: 1
    cracked Burnhams

I started working for an oil company in 2000 & in my 1st year there we replaced 13 cracked Burnhams. That's more than 1 a month !!!! The best one was when I had to go through a 2 foot square panel to get into the crawlspace where the boiler was & found it cracked. I looked at the hole I crawled through & back at the boiler & wanted to cry!!!! One of my coworkers really messed his back up wrestling the new block in. It's not easy moving a 500 lb block when you can't even stand up straight. Hopefully the casting problem has been resolved, I guess it's job security for us techs
  • Susan_7
    Susan_7 Member Posts: 1
    Bad block

Thanks for getting back on the subject of the burner. I am writing to Burnham and I am hopeful they will stand by their product. If there are any more Burnham V-7 stories I would like to hear them. The more info I have the better I am equipped to "fight the battle."
  • Dave_4
    Hey I might have a cracked V73 too !!!

Greate info here.

Wont know til I get the service manager out to look at it.

thanks!
  • midway
    midway Member Posts: 35

maybe thats where the 1 inch of water in the glass tube is going that I'm trying to find? we have a V 74 made in 1998
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Hey Glenn

Welcome back! Hope you are doing better.
    FACT: There is not a more stand-up company than Burnham. They have addressed the V-7 since the problem occured. This is really a dead horse. We no longer sell Burnham due to circumstances beyond my control, I can tell you top to bottom, a great American made boiler and first class people! Welcome back Glenn...
    Rick
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260

Probably going up the chimney. Replaced two more this week. One a V85 and one a V73 both steam rotted above the water line.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    V8 or V7...

A V85 or a V75?
  • John_115
    John_115 Member Posts: 3

Either we are in a biga$$ time zone change or the Twilight Zone!! The post is dated August 3rd of 05. Rick is welcoming Glenn back and Gene's Subaru is probably on another set of head gaskets by now. HELLO 1973.....ROOKIE
  • That's what happens

when the folks that read these posts archive them. They tend to get resurrected from the dead all over again. I learned a long time ago that anything you say or do here can and will come back eventually! They were right.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics
  • RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459

hay who is using my name i did not write the above post everyone that knows me know i have a buderus
    thanks
    Jason
  • Dave_4
    chicken vs. egg: excess makeup water too much oxygen ? ??

noticed that some boilers claim that add makeup water at too high a rate causes too much 'oxygen rich' water to enter the system and could cause early boiler failure...

is this out the mfg gets out of a an early boiler failure claim?? Mine is only 5 yrs old.

• Dave_4
    admin can you remove?? SORRY R-boy

I got this link from a google search. and then just 'posted'. I didnt think your name etc would 'carry through'.

Perhaps admin can remove this and the 2 previous 'bogus' posts.
  • Rely_2
    Rely_2 Member Posts: 61
    Glen tell us

about the upgrade from a V7 series to a V8 or MOP

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • boiler1220
    boiler1220 Member Posts: 3
    leaking v7 and v8 series

I own a boiler removal company and since 1997 I have removed over 4000 Burnham v7 in v8 series boilers. I know many of the warranty question answers. Feel free to call me at 617 733 8597. My name is Dennis, happy to help in any way.
This discussion has been closed.